PBW Issues, Is This A Florida Thing Or What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, so I did a little search but did not find anyone posting about this issue so I thought I'd ask. I like using PBW to clean my fermentors, kegs, and brewing equipment. I don't want beer stone to build up on my stuff. I then sanitize with Star San or Saniclean if using a pump, and all is well and I never have infection problems (except when I was brand new at brewing) as I am pretty fanatical about cleaning my brewery.

Anyway if I don't put my PBW in a zip lock bag and store it in the freezer between uses it will get rock hard and will be unusable. You can't even scrape it with a knife to use it again. What a waste of money, I mean really. If I store it with silica gel packs, in a zip lock bag same thing, hard as a rock. I have to freeze the unused portion. It is very humid here in Florida and even though the zip lock is air tight, for some reason it still finds a way in and ruins the plastic can, or zip lock bag if I put it in that. I've tried everything. I have the same problem with my left over portion of DME when I make yeast starters. I have to freeze that too. Am I the only one that has to do this? Is this a "Southern Thing" or what? Maybe it's just my house.....:( Any one else have this problem or does everyone freeze theirs and it's like a home brew secret?

John

My PBW clumps up too, but I can break it up for the most part. Same thing with DME. I live in Minnesota. Not sure if it's worse in the summer or not. Sounds like humidity. I guess I'm not much help here. If freezing works, then go with it.

I can't speak for other Floridians even though I've lived there most of my life, I haven't the last few years since I've started brewing. Up here in Tennessee I have never had my PBW clump and I keep some under the kitchen sink and some in the garage.

That being said the humidity up here is a joke compared to Florida. I don't miss it at all. I find it hilarious when people up here complain about humidity, they have no idea.

I have a big Ziploc of it and one of those small jars sitting in my garage. I never use it except for Serious messes. No clumping in mine.

NC here as well, very humid (so humid i have to use a dehumidifier as my old computer rusted before i had one) and i have no clumping problems.

Although i did have one strange problem id be curious to get an answer on what chemical reactions were going on. I bought 4lbs of PBW, stored some in the 1lb container it came in and the rest i vacuum sealed. Well maybe a week or 2 after i vacuum sealed the rest of the pbw i checked on it and the vacuum sealed bag had ballooned and was about ready to burst. Place i had it stored in runs about 80-95F so maybe that caused some chemical reaction idk.

Funny John, I make my own psuedo-PBW with oxyclean and TSP (70/30), and it stays outside all the time. Never clumps.

That's amazing, you must be a magician! :D Seriously though, it must be something causing it unique to my house or block..... I might have to try making my own like you do. Maybe the commercial version solidifies but the homemade version won't. I don't know but it's very frustrating. At least I found I can freeze it and that it keeps it in good condition. I thought for sure others had the same issue, but I guess it does't do this for everyone else.

Thanks for all the responses. I will just keep freezing the stuff I have and my DME for yeast starters, and I will try and make some homemade PBW and give that a try as well.

John

I have bought it in several sizes ranging from one pound plastic jars and 8 pound plastic tubs. I have also bought it in a 5 pound vac sealed bags. It doesn't really matter. Freeze it or use it once and then rock hard.....

John

I gotta say, I don't find "caking" issues - on any powder - to be surprising given the location. Indeed, I expect it's inevitable.
My father's parents retired to Pompano Beach, and the first time my P's took our family unit down there for a visit I saw rice in a salt shaker for the first time, evah...

Cheers! (It's effin' humid in Flohreeda. Ya just gots to deal ;))

I hear ya Trippr, I wish all it did was "cake"! I couldn't even scrape or shave this rock with a knife to get any amount to dilute in water. It was like cement! Maybe I should put rice in it! :mug:

John

That's just crazy enough to work! :D

Seriously, what's the worst that could happen with some rice in your PBW?
I'm pretty sure my CIP plumbing would pass rice without gagging ;)

CHeers!

Back