PBW: how Mich do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKEbrew

Reaction score
I know the directions say to use 3/4 oz. per gallon hot water when soaking a carboy, but I've heard people say they use less than that since its so expensive.

How much do you use?

I was soaking in oxyclean, but just learned of the film it can leave, lol.

I mix 3.75 oz in 5 gallons, keep it in a bucket and reuse until it gets noticeably "dirty" ... I find that if I scrub and rinse my equipment before using PBW, it lasts quite a long time.

Ahh, ok. So you you're not using hot water, but you are using 3/4oz. per gallon. I think I want to get one of those drill attachments for cleaning my carboys.

Ahh, ok. So you you're not using hot water, but you are using 3/4oz. per gallon. I think I want to get one of those drill attachments for cleaning my carboys.

Meh. Hottish water with two tablespoons of unscented pretty-darned-cheap Oxyclean filled to the neck, let sit for a couple of hours (or longer if you aren't up against a time frame) and all of the crud will end up on the bottom of your carboy. Your carboy brush will wonder why you never use it any more...

Cheers!

dutchoven said:
Yeah, I use it at room/garage temp ... Still works great

Cool, that's good to know. Is there anyone who does use less? I'm always looking to make cleaning easier, but I don't ever want to risk the quality of my brew.

Meh. Hottish water with two tablespoons of unscented pretty-darned-cheap Oxyclean filled to the neck, let sit for a couple of hours (or longer if you aren't up against a time frame) and all of the crud will end up on the bottom of your carboy. Your carboy brush will wonder why you never use it any more...

Cheers!

I was using oxy clean, but it leaves a residue. Maybe I'm using too much? Guy at the brew store said he uses like iodine or something to remove the residue. It all just sounds like a lot of messing around to me and I don't enjoy messing around.

i use about half the recommended amount and it works just fine.

the printed dosage seems like a ton of pbw. i really don't see any reason why you would need to use that much

Back