PB&J Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Found some Peanut Butter flavoring at my LHBS and figured I would use it as I LOVE peanut butter (who doesn't?). I've had chocolate peanut butter stouts before and have not been too impressed yet so thought I would try a PB&J Stout. I just put together this recipe today. My intent was to have some bread flavors in there along with the peanut butter and strawberry (not to keen on grape in a stout) flavors. So here is the recipe I will be brewing in a week or two. What do you all think?

Recipe type: All Grain
Batch size: 5 Gallon
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 11.7 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
4.0 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.9 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.9 %
2.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 19.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 3.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 11 -
2.0 oz Peanut Butter flavoring (Brewer's Best) at Kegging or Bottling
2.0 oz Strawberry flavoring (Brewer's Best) at Kegging or Bottling

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 22.4 IBUs
Est Color: 37.2 SRM

We'll see how it turns out! Looking forward to trying this! Let me know what you all think.

that sounds awesome, I have been looking to make a similar beer. I have a few questions for you,

why did you choose to add roasted malt?

and why did you choose to add the peanut butter at bottling?

I have no idea how to get the best flavoring from the peanut butter so i am curious

I just did a Pb porter a few weeks ago. I used a jar of pb2 in the boil and half pound lactose, then a jar plus 4oz cocoa nibs in secondary. I'll share my results when I have them and I would like to hear yours to compare.

I added the roasted barley really more for color than anything. And I decided to add the peanut butter at kegging because that's how I've usually added flavoring to a lot of my beers in the past when I want more flavor to come out. I have a chocolate raspberry stout recipe that I add the raspberry in at kegging. I guess you could add the peanut butter at the end of the boil. Not sure how much of a difference this would make. Any ideas if it would be better to add at the end of the boil or kegging?

Back