Paulaner Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinakajuice

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted, but I had to share my opinion of Paulaner's Oktoberfest.

What a great beer. I bought it because it was 15 bucks for a huge mug that had a can of Oktoberfest in it. I was amazed at how tasty and easy to drink it was. I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I tried it. That was my favorite beer out of the last $75 trip to Total Wine, a beer/wine superstore here in Va. In fact, I am going to go there today and either buy two more mugs of it and/or get a few cases while it's still around.

So if you are wondering what Oktoberfest beer to pick up and you happen upon some Paulaner, I would recommend picking it up and giving it a try. Oh, and if you have a clone recipe for it, LET ME KNOW.

:mug:

~Juice~

It is the bomb.... My favorite commercial version I can get in Oklahoma - which would include Sam Adams, Ayinger, and Spaten as the other 'regulars'. Need to look for this mug variation as that would be a nice item for the home pub!

I had a fantastic Oktoberfest last year - it was an import from a brewery in Marzen but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was. I figure I have a month or so to figure it out.

I had a Paulaner's Oktoberfest in a 3 liter Das Boot at the Helen, GA Oktoberfest last October. I really enjoyed it as well. Right after I ordered it, we realized we were running out of time to catch our plane in Atlanta, and my GF had to drive, so I waxed that bad boy in about 25 minutes before I BUZZZZZED down to catch my plane. It was like college all over again.

Ah, the memories!

I've been looking for a good Oktoberfest. While I might be in the minority, I hate Sam Adams

It's okay for what it is, but it's not really an Oktoberfest-style beer.

Paulaner Oktoberfest is definitely one of my favorite examples of the style. I've been looking around for a clone recipe for a long time. I don't suppose anyone has one?

it was a fantastic beer, got one last Thursday. I had been wanted in a large dimpled mug and some tasty beer and this covered both very well.

i'll do some digging this evening when i get home and see if i can't find it. In my quick google search just now, i found a guy on northernbrewer.com forums that has a Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone in the fermentor, so i PM'd him asking for the recipe. If that happens quicker than it takes to get home (I have a local homebrew club meeting right after work), i'll pass that on.

here is the thread in which i found that info:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=101336

Haven't been home yet, but got an answer from that guy. Here's what he said. I asked when he gets to his log to send exact recipe.

The best that I've come up with so far is using dark munich (15L) and pils. Use enough dark munich to get to like 8.5 SRM. A single hop at 60 shooting for 19 IBUs, maybe hallertau? I used a massive starter of WLP 830 and decanted of course. I apologize for not having the exact recipe at the moment as I'm away from my brew log. Something like this is about what I used:

8 lbs pils
3 lbs dark munich

The key is the fermentation but this should be pretty darn close to the real thing. It's got me to the NHC second round twice now.

When it comes to O-Fests, the ones from Munich obviously are the best.

However if you want to try a good one from an American brewer, try the one from Brooklyn Brewery. Pretty damn good. Much better than Sam Adams Octoberfest IMO.

It's definitely Hallertau, I think it says it on the can.
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/140322
the above link is a response from the brewmaster to some guy on another forum.
paulaner.jpg

Spaten has always been my favorite. Somehow, a burger joint near me has it on tap year-round. Considering Optimator is my favorite beer of all time, their Oktoberfest is obviously up there for me.

So far this year the only one I've had has been Sly Fox out of a can. Great beer, but it's lacking a little something I just can't put my finger on.

I may need to retry it, I got a 5l party keg of it and it tasted like peach syrup. Nasty sweet.

_Resize that pic!!!

Airborneguy said:
Spaten has always been my favorite. Somehow, a burger joint near me has it on tap year-round. Considering Optimator is my favorite beer of all time, their Oktoberfest is obviously up there for me.

The only thing optimator has done for me is optimate my hangover. I had three pints once and I was in a horrible state the next day at a time when I never used to get ill or have hangovers... some others felt the same though on a small amount so I wonder if there was something nasty in the beer or lines.

Could've been, but it is a high alcohol brew. I usually try to drink a ton of water after drinking anything over 7% for a few pints. The place I get Optimator at sells all German beers in traditional liters or half liters, so I have to really pay attention!

Haven't been home yet, but got an answer from that guy. Here's what he said. I asked when he gets to his log to send exact recipe.

The best that I've come up with so far is using dark munich (15L) and pils. Use enough dark munich to get to like 8.5 SRM. A single hop at 60 shooting for 19 IBUs, maybe hallertau? I used a massive starter of WLP 830 and decanted of course. I apologize for not having the exact recipe at the moment as I'm away from my brew log. Something like this is about what I used:

8 lbs pils
3 lbs dark munich

The key is the fermentation but this should be pretty darn close to the real thing. It's got me to the NHC second round twice now.

Okay, for me 8lbs pils and 3 lbs Dark Munich only gets to around 6 SRM. To get about 8.5 I have to go 50/50 Pilsner and Munich, which I'm willing to believe is the right amount.

From the Paulaner web site, their starting gravity in Plato is 13.7, so about 1.056, right? And their ABV is 6.0%. WLP830 should just about get you to 6.0% from a 1.056 wort so that sounds good to me.

Now, I'm guessing to increasing fermentability we'd want the mash temp low, around 145 even? But I'm worried that we might not get that creamy mouthfeel. Anyone have some thoughts on that mash temp?

Just to add to this thread, I thoroughly enjoyed my six pack of Paulaner Oktoberfest. I would love to know how close to the authentic version served in Munich it is. But even if it's way off, it's still a POWAFULL good beer.

Back