Patience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
One of the many things that my home brewing hobby has taught me is the value of patience.
My first ever extract batch was cloudy. I stopped into a nearby brew shop for some chemicals, and the wise proprietor told me not to add chemicals, but to simply rack it into a secondary and wait a couple of weeks. It worked and the beer was acceptably clear.
Subsequently I give each step a week or so more than it calls for, and the results have been great.
This fall I tasted my first ever lager, and was somewhat disappointed. Several weeks later I tasted it again and thought that it was a lot better. Yesterday after several more weeks I tasted it again, and thought that it doesn't get any better than this....We shall see.
I recently needed to leave for a ten day trip. I racked my chocolate milk stout into the secondary so that I could add the nibs that had been soaking in vodka.
I noticed that the glass fermentor looked horribly dirty. Lacking the time to properly clean it, I threw in a handful of PBW, set it in the laundry sink and filled it to the top with hot water. When I got back, it was as clean as new, no scrubbing required....
Patience..
Bob

I used to soak my buckets like that, with 3-4 Tablespoons of PBW in water up to the crud line. Then I started using the hose to blast them clean while the stuff was still fresh, then wiping, cleaning the spigots, etc. much faster! But soaking the glass ones is worthwhile, given their shape. My better bottle just needs a gallon or so of PBW swished around to clean it slick as a hound's tooth.

Back