Patience sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolsom

Reaction score
Week 1) I bought my beginner brew kit online, then filled in the "additional" stuff, like a 5 gal brew kettle, sanitizing tote, etc..

Week 2) mail ordered 2 kits. I stopped buying twist offs and started buying pry off beers with brown glass, even cleaned out my beer store of one brand.

Week 3) got my kits and brewed my first batch :rockin:
Started to sanitize bottles in bleach/water, clean the labels, rinse in the dishwasher (no soap). Dawned on me that I fermented in my bottling bucket and was going to need to secondary to clean my bottling bucket, so I ordered another 5 gal carboy, ordered 2 more kits (wheat beers), and a yeast started kit.

Week 4) Racked my first batch to secondary, with an amazing amount of frustration with the racking cane and siphon, after the fact was quite funny.

Week 5)Read about the large amount of foam created from fermenting wheat beers so I finally found a home brew store picked up a 6.5 gal ferment bucket, auto siphon, and everything else that caught the attention of this wide eyed kid in a candy store.
Brewed a wheat. :rockin:

Week 6) Bottled my first beer and discovered the difference in commercial beer bottles. Using the capper from my beginner kit I started to cap, after the fourth bottle I started having problems clamping on correctly, at the end I was breaking bottles. Another trip to the home brew store for a bench top capper, and of course another 6.5 gal fermentation bucket (and anything else that caught the eye of this wide eyed kid in the candy store).

During this week, I can see my coworkers getting bored about me talking about the kids, I'm getting stressed about the kids (are they warm /cool enough, protected from the light, how's fermenting going, what could I have done wrong etc...).
I stressed over my priming mixture ( I chilled 2 3 day old bottles so that I could check if the carbonation seemed the same from the beginning of bottling and the end), and shared 2 tasty flat beers with the wife (she agreed, tasty).

Ordered 3 more kits, They sounded really great and matched my temp requirements, but are big brews and am talking long term commitment.
Made my first yeast starter and brewed my first stout. :rockin:

I should bottle second brew, brew another wheat this weekend

So here I am, by week six I have received a $500 credit card bill, and untold riches emptying beer bottles, and already have plans to go to the HB store for 1 or more fermentation buckets and maybe another secondary.

And I still have another week before my 1st batch has been bottled for 2 weeks

I have not even had a taste of my fully finished first brew yet.

Do I sound addicted?

f3e.jpeg

Welcome to the addiction!! One thing to save you a bit of money and potential issues/trouble and make life easier... Skip on the secondary. No need to secondary beers that dont need to age or have stuff added to them (fruit, wood chips, etc). You're basically creating an extra step and in turn, you can potentially oxidize your beer or introduce infection. Just my 2cents. Enjoy! :mug:

Patience??? Heh .... you wanna know about patience??? Start making mead ... very tough transition from beer brewing to mead making, although not the process - making mead is a lot less work than beer, really - but the insufferable wait for it to be ready to drink. Once you get a few brews in your pipeline at various stages, you'll likely always have something ready. I do miss brewing, but, damn, I loves me some good mead, as does SWMBO :)

I would drink one or two from the first batch today. Bet ten it is good already and if not how you ever gonna know what green beer taste like if you don't drink some early?

As long as you stop when you have everything you need and a few more things for sh!ts and giggles. If you start buying things you do not need or use, get help. Or not, it's your hobby, make it fun for you!

This is hilarious!! We've all been there! I won't quote some random thing about relax, don't worry.... yada yada... Welcome to the addiction. I have to go buy grain again tomorrow to brew the exact thing I brewed last weekend to keep the pipeline going or I'll be in trouble with SWMBO and several other friends. :mug:

I think I started to feel better about my investment (all together probably only around $200-250 in equipment) when I got my pipeline going. When I was brewing one 2.5 gallon batch every 3-4 weeks it felt like a lot of work for 24 beers that would usually last me 10-14 days before I had to start buying beer from the store again. When I switched to all grain I started brewing almost every weekend and managed to crank out 10-11 batches in a 2.5 month period. It allowed me to get my pipeline going which meant a constant supply of homebrew. Now I hardly ever buy beer in the store outside of a few special bottles here and there. It's pretty great being able to drink as much homebrew as I want and always having a nice variety to chose from. I'm moving up to 5 gallon batches so I'll be able to really build up a nice pipeline soon! Best of luck :)

:mug:

<snip>
So here I am, by week six I have received a $500 credit card bill, and untold riches emptying beer bottles, and already have plans to go to the HB store for 1 or more fermentation buckets and maybe another secondary.

And I still have another week before my 1st batch has been bottled for 2 weeks

I have not even had a taste of my fully finished first brew yet.

Do I sound addicted?

You do know this is not HBA . . . . . Home Brewers Anonymous! :D

If you came here for help with your new addiction, I'm feeling sorry for you.

I and the fine folks here will keep dangling that carrot a little out of arms reach so you keep reading, keep learning, keep brewing, keep buying and above all . . . . keep enjoying the rewards of homebrew.

Remember these days young brewer, hopefully you'll have a lifetime of brewing.

Welcome and Prost'

'da Kid

Yup. Only two 2.5 gallon batches under my belt, and I have my brew schedule already mapped out through November & into December.

:fro:

I took one of my bottled nut brown ales and stuck in in the fridge to check the carb tonight, while I bottle my American wheat.
Expecting a shipment today of a Scottish wee heavy and Imperial stout. I have to really start putting my patience muscles to work, but it should be a bit easier now that I'm getting close having a pipeline to tap into. Still "need" another fermenter or two.
I overheard my wife on the phone with her mother and she said, "The kitchen is starting to look like a brewery, but that's okay." Brought a small tear to my eye.

Sounds like you need an auto syphon. Have you looked into all grain yet? You're gonna need a bigger kettle...

Sounds like you need an auto syphon. Have you looked into all grain yet? You're gonna need a bigger kettle...

And don't worry about being addicted. Were you addicted like most of us, then by week 6 you'd have already formulated your own recipes. And looked into Chugger pumps and brew sculptures. :)

Welcome and enjoy. A small peice of advice if i may, as you begin to look at your next kettle, go larger than you think you need to. 8 gal with a port and themometer will sound great and bigger than you need, but trust me, no sooner than you use it you will want to do 10 gal batches and will want a 15 or 20 gal.
Least that is my issue....
Cheers:mug:

I remember having 6 to 8 cases stacked up in the corner
while I was cooking up another batch in the kitchen.

Figured I had a problem.

All the Best,
D. White

I have 4 cases, fermenting a stout and just finished brewing the hefeweizen.
We tasted the first batch 9nut brown ale) that has been bottled for a week, and it is still as flat as the sample we tasted 3 days after bottling.

I'm wondering if I bottled wrong because when I bottle, I pull the bottle out of the star san and directly fill it, then cap. Do I need to dry the bottles?
I sanitize by leaving them in a tub of 4 gal of water and a cap of bleach, quick rinse, then put in a case until I drop them in star san before bottling.

Edit:
I have another question as well. I have not had an airlock active for more than 36 hrs (Wyeast british ale, and Wyeast 1010 American wheat), I have been fermenting in my basement at 66°F. Could this be normal?

I have 4 cases, fermenting a stout and just finished brewing the hefeweizen.
We tasted the first batch 9nut brown ale) that has been bottled for a week, and it is still as flat as the sample we tasted 3 days after bottling.

I'm wondering if I bottled wrong because when I bottle, I pull the bottle out of the star san and directly fill it, then cap. Do I need to dry the bottles?
I sanitize by leaving them in a tub of 4 gal of water and a cap of bleach, quick rinse, then put in a case until I drop them in star san before bottling.

Edit:
I have another question as well. I have not had an airlock active for more than 36 hrs (Wyeast british ale, and Wyeast 1010 American wheat), I have been fermenting in my basement at 66°F. Could this be normal?

You don't need to dry the bottles, just get all the star San you can out dumping them. 36 hours is nothing on lag time really, no reason to worry shy of 72. If you want a faster start to fermentation look into making starters, it sounds like you're using liquid yeast

Did you add extra sugar to the beer you are trying to carb? I failed to see that you primed the bottled beer with sugar so as to give it something with which to make bubbles.

Yes, added the 5 oz of priming sugar before bottling. If I don't get carbonation in the next 3 weeks I'll just drink it flat. It is tasty but carbonation would make it much better.

Yes, added the 5 oz of priming sugar before bottling. If I don't get carbonation in the next 3 weeks I'll just drink it flat. It is tasty but carbonation would make it much better.

The mantra is "21 days, 72 degrees" for bottle conditioning. Cooler temps will take longer. But unless you've pasteurized the beer somehow, like having a flash steam vent materialize from the 12th dimension, or a giant other-wordly centipede irradiated your stash, then the yeasties will do their job.

One other note--StarSan is ONLY effective when wet.

Back