Patience issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpinkbunny

Reaction score
Hey all, I have my first brew (made with the Coopers microbrew kit) in the bottles at the moment. They'll have been in for 2 weeks on Saturday which is the shortest time it says to leave them to condition/carbonate. Now it's my birthday today and my patience is creeping away from me... They're in PET bottles and they're pretty stiff, so there's been something going on in there. I'm wondering what I might expect if I'm bad and try one today? Is the CO2 likely to have made it into the beer? Or just pressurised from the top??

Go for it and treat yourself. It'll be beer but maybe just a little flatter than what you'd expect.

Happy birthday.

At two weeks, your beer is probably semi-carbonated. My guess is you'll pour it, and get a bit of head which will quickly die. There will likely also be a bit of residual sweetness from the priming sugar that hasn't been fermented yet. You can, if you must, drink it after two weeks. It will still be beer, but it will be much better if you wait.

It's your beer, abuse it as you will. ;)

I love you guys :) Any people that encourage you to try beer are good people! I know it'll be worth waiting, and I intend to keep most for a while longer. I think I deserve it for managing to wait this long! Mildly flat is ok... Still beer!

I for one am trying my first bottle of my first brew tonight as well. It's been bottled for two weeks, I'm just not gonna wait anymore, thats what the other 46 bottles are for

I for one am trying my first bottle of my first brew tonight as well. It's been bottled for two weeks, I'm just not gonna wait anymore, thats what the other 46 bottles are for

Very well put! Yo'll have to let us know how the first one is.

llazy - spot on.

It had a head for about 10 seconds, but there's definate bubbles rising and a reasonable amount of carbonation when drinking. So alltogether - very happy! :-D

I think I have a better understanding of what you mean when you say green now so that's something learnt! I'm kinda giddy with excitement with every sip. This is dangerous - another thing learnt is that word obsession... It might be growing inside me... :)

Hope you already have your next batch in the fermenter.Those 46 that are left will go fast now.If your'e like me --you just can't leave them be.Even for your own good!

It's your first brew, and it's your birthday, so by all means treat yourself. Being impatient and trying it too early are part of the process of learning to homebrew, and I'd guess most of those who are telling you not to open ignored that same advice when they brewed their first batch.

For the record I tried my first batch after a week in the primary and a week in the bottle. It tasted fine and had a reasonably good carbonation level. Granted, it did taste better after a few more weeks, but I have no regrets. It's not like it was going to be my last batch. ;)

Oh, and +1 to getting another batch going. The first will go quickly.

+1 for the pipeline:

I have 10gal on tap, 10 gal ferm/conditioning and I've been totally stressed trying to find time to brew another 40 or so that I already have ingredients/recipes for.

Soon I'll be posting on here at 3am on a wednesday that I'm finishing up a brew... my wife is gonna kill me.

I can feel your pain on not finding time or being able to brew. I have to move at the end of April so I've been trying to resist the urge to brew another batch before then. I already have 2 kegs full, 2 cases of bottles, and one batch of beer and one batch of apfelwein each in the primary. I'd prefer not to have a bunch of extra bottles and/or full kegs to move. But I think I'm going to lose my willpower and brew at least one more this weekend. I guess I'd have to move the empty bottles and kegs anyway, so I might as well put something in them. ;)

Looks like my brew's turned out to be quite powerful. I'm not totally sure because I was a n00b (first time - allowed) and didn't take the OG reading. Quite merry now :) Haven't got the next batch in yet, but it won't be too long I don't think.

I just need to decide if it's going to be a full extract again, or try and mix things up a bit. I read that you can replace some of the sugars for the extract kits and get differences, so was thinking along the same lines but with some honey added instead some of the sugar...

Go for it - you have to experience the green beer flavor - it will encourage you to wait longer when you brew your next batch.

Latest posts

Back