Patience isn't my virtue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
My first brew was 2 wks in the primary, 2 in the secondary and has now been in the bottle for 4 days. If I was to sample a bottle now:

Would there be any carbonation?
Would the flavor be off?

No.

Most advice I have received here says you need to leave it in the bottle for at least 3 weeks, then move it to the fridge for at least a couple of days before partaking.

I drink a sample bottle at about 10 days (week + 3 days in fridge), 20 days, and 30 days. It is cool how much the beer changes in just that short amount of time.

I have always had problems with patience, but I think I have finally found the hobby that will teach me!

Hell try one for fun you've got 48+. There will be little or no carbonation and it will taste "green" but will give you a good perspective of what changes beer goes through while carbonating/conditioning.

after 4 days, you will not have stabilized carbonation. There may be bubbles, but the actual beer will not have dissolved the CO2. If this is your first try them at intervals starting at 10 days like mentioned above. Do not start drinking them in earnest until 3 weeks at least after bottling and conditioning at 70º. If you bottles are colder they will take longer to carb and condition.

EDIT: Also remember, every beer you drink when you know it isn't peak, is one beer you can't drink when they actually taste good.

When I used to bottle I always tried a beer at 1 week and 2 weeks. It's going to change, it will get better, but I still had to try.

The hard part is when a beer tastes good at 1 week and you can't stay out of them.

I always figure that it's my beer so I can have one if I want! Then I justify it to myself that it's for scientific purposes (testing). Then I crack it and drink it.

The best way to be patient, for me, is to brew a lot. That way there's so much beer stuff going on I forget that they're ready!

My remedy has been to brew another batch around a week and a half after the first. After I bottle, I put the bottles in a far reaching area of my apartment, someone that i cant see them. out of sight out of mind

My first brew was 2 wks in the primary, 2 in the secondary and has now been in the bottle for 4 days. If I was to sample a bottle now:

Would there be any carbonation?
Would the flavor be off?

Most likely "no" and "yes". 4 days is not enough time for the yeast to generate sufficient carbonation and clean up the beer. If you want to cut down on your brewing-to-drinking time, try skipping secondary. From reading and talking to the brewers I know, secondary is usually necessary if you dry hop or flavor your beer (like with vanilla beans, fruit, etc). I haven't done secondary yet and my beers have been just fine.

My remedy has been to brew another batch around a week and a half after the first. After I bottle, I put the bottles in a far reaching area of my apartment, someone that i cant see them. out of sight out of mind

I bottled on Saturday, so I brewed on Saturday and again on Sunday to keep my paws off the newly bottled creation and give me something else to worry about for the next 3 weeks.

If there's any carbonation in there whatsoever, it won't be much. It will taste funny. At 4 days in the bottle, you can sample it if you want. Just know that your finished beer won't taste anything like what you have now.

You might even learn a thing or two trying it early. If you do, you'll know what green beer tastes like. Just don't panic when it doesn't taste like what you're expecting.

An easy way for even an impatient person to enjoy this hobby is to buy a half dozen [or more!] carboys/better bottles/5 gallon kegs , and brew more often. The most painful part will be the initial waiting period between when your first batch starts and when it is drinkable.

But maybe I'm not listening and you're impatient with your first brew. Start your second batch NOW and drink what you've already got. There wont be anything wrong with it. As soon as you're halfway through your first batch's remnants, start the third batch. I freak out if I have less than 20 bottles worth...time to brew again! :mug:

Latest posts

Back