Patience is a Virtue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started my first kit probably eight or nine weeks ago, a honey blonde ale by Brew House. I was as excited as any newbie to taste my first homebrew, so I opened a bottle after maybe ten days in the bottle, thought it was just okay, had another bottle maybe a week later, thought it was better, and started to drink it regularly after the presribed three weeks in the bottle. It was a nice beer.

In the interim I had bottled a few more kits and had a few more on the go. I was mostly drinking my second batch (a honey brown that came with liquid malt extract, grains I boiled, three types of hops, etc.) and sort of ignoring the honey blonde. Well...last night I cracked one of the honey blonde bottles and could not believe how much it had changed. Absolutely wonderful; significant honey flavour coming through that was not present before. It was a completely different beer. The kicker was later last night when I went to a buddy's house who had made the same kit about two weeks after me and we cracked a bottle of his. It tasted like mine USED to--good but not yet fully developed.

So now I know that when the voices of experience here on HBT say HAVE PATIENCE, they are right. When they say three weeks in the bottle is a MINIMUM, they are right. Of course I am left lamenting the fact that I have maybe 15 of 60 bottles left. Mind you, it will be easier to wait on stuff now that I have a decent stock of beer built up.

Mind you, it will be easier to wait on stuff now that I have a decent stock of beer built up.

Lies! All LIES I tell you!

3 years in, and I am ALWAYS eager to try that new beer. And taste how it develops. Always getting down to the end and finding that if I just waited another couple weeks, it would have reached it's prime.

The new batch eagerness NEVER goes away, even if it's a repeat brew.

Lies! All LIES I tell you!

3 years in, and I am ALWAYS eager to try that new beer. And taste how it develops. Always getting down to the end and finding that if I just waited another couple weeks, it would have reached it's prime.

The new batch eagerness NEVER goes away, even if it's a repeat brew.

Amen brother. The only way around this is to brew 10G and stash 5. That leaves the other 5 for tasting.;)

I wonder if there's some way to safely and cheaply mail a case of beer to yourself, but have it go through every major post office in america before coming back. That would give it at least several months to a year to age properly, and the constant carrying and shaking would build up a nice carbonation. That or some sort of nuclear powered time-lock safe that will only open once every six months.

I wonder if there's some way to safely and cheaply mail a case of beer to yourself, but have it go through every major post office in america before coming back. That would give it at least several months to a year to age properly, and the constant carrying and shaking would build up a nice carbonation. That or some sort of nuclear powered time-lock safe that will only open once every six months.

LMAO at the mailing idea!

Every time you make a batch, give a dozen to somebody you trust not to drink it and tell them to give it back to you in six months.

There is a perfectly organic solution.

They are called infants, and they totally devastate your beer-time continuum.

By the time you can relax and enjoy a beer, you become unconscious for a 2-3 hour stretch. At some point you no longer care about primes except that you become overly eager to figure out how many beers you can divide into yourself.

For most of my beers I follow a simple rule of thumb.

1 week of conditioning for every 10 gravity points for light beers
2 weeks for every 10 gravity points for darker beers

Blonde ales, light lagers and cream ales seem to be good at 2 months, peak at about 4 months and head downhill quickly after that, at least in my opinion.

I try to schedule my brewing so that by the time a keg blows I have a keg which is fully conditioned waiting to replace it. When kegging, I attach a note to the keg that reads "XX brew, brewed on XX, OG XX, FG XX, kegged on XX-XX, tap on XX-XX". I'll sneak a pint or two earlier as a sample, but reserve the rest for drinking when it is at its peak of flavor.

Similarly if I'm brewing for a comp, I adjust my brew date so that when it hits the judges glass it will be at its peak of flavor.

Back