Path to Make a Career Out of Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniilO

Reaction score
My friends and I started brewing right after we graduated college and have been considering making a career out of it. I'm in my first year of college and considering getting a bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering.

How applicable is a ChemE degree in the brewing industry? Is there a better way to learn the ins and outs of brewing other than getting a bachelor's degree? Is the pay good? What does it take to become certified to open and run a microbrewery? What are the difficulties (besides startup money) to running a successful microbrewery? Is competition in the beer industry ruthless?

Any comments or insight is helpful, thanks!

You started after graduating college, and you're in your first year of college currently?

I'd say with your ability to warp time, you should be able to succeed in any industry!

You started after graduating college, and you're in your first year of college currently?

I'd say with your ability to warp time, you should be able to succeed in any industry!

Haha I thought the same thing as u ...I thought I read it wrong the first time ...but I did not

Must have meant they started right after graduating high school, which sounds like the perfect time to start brewing.

If money's important, you'll probably make a lot more as a chemical engineer than as a brewer.

On the other hand, brewing is a lot more fun.

Keep homebrewing and learn to make great beer while you get your engineering degree. Without great beer, any kind of new brewery isn't going to make it.

Also, read this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=444132

Back