Pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schott703

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried to heat a Carboy by water bath or heat wrap - then bottling?

I believe this has been discussed before. The problem with heating a vessel that large is that the center of the vessel doesn't get as much heat as the bottom or edges. I suppose you could stir it to get a consistent temp, but you would greatly increase the chances of infection and oxidation.

I think you would get a more consistent pasteurization if you are doing it in small bottles or some sort of inline flash or heat pasteurization during transfer.

All that said, if you discover a way to eliminate the obvious issues, let us know. It would be nice to see a different method.

if you were going to try it, I'd suggest swirling, instead of stirring. you don't have to open it or introduce any possible contamination, as well as reduce oxygen introduction. But it would improve heat transfer, and make it more uniform.

Thanks for the input. I will figure this out and when I do ill start a thread. Batch pasteurizing would solve a crap load of issues

The carboy isn't meant to handle high temperatures, and the glass would break before the cider would be pasteurized. You'd need something like a pyrex carboy.

Disagree. It's more a factor of rate of rise. The glass itself will handle it Its only dishwasher temps

Back