"Pasteurizing" your equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I got a brett infection in a dry stout I brewed but it tastes great. I had it kegged and there was a slow leak, and the sneaky lil devil found its way in. So now I want to drink it but I don't want to have to buy a new post/faucet.

Couldn't I just drop my post, faucet and line into a pot of 160 degree water for 20 seconds? I know brett can be difficult to kill with sanitizer but wouldn't that kill anything?

I would get new beer line (it's cheap, so why not!) and drop the post and faucet into water, if 160 I would leave it in for 10 minutes or so.

I use heat exclusively as my method to sanitize. I also brew sours and use heat to sanitize my kegs, fermenters and lines.

In short, I boil nearly everything that comes in contact with beer and I have never had a problem with any infection. I regularly keep beer for up to a year and I freely mix and match funky with non-funky hardware.

The small kettle on the lower right is where I do decoctions and boil sanitize parts.

Boil your parts and you won't have a problem.

DSCN0441.jpg

I use heat exclusively as my method to sanitize. I also brew sours and use heat to sanitize my kegs, fermenters and lines.

In short, I boil nearly everything that comes in contact with beer and I have never had a problem with any infection. My beers keeps for up to a year and I freely mix and match funky with non-funky hardware.

The small kettle on the lower right is where I do decoctions and boil sanitize parts.

Boil your parts and you won't have a problem.

Badass. Thanks man.

Back