Pasteurizing sake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSeibel

Reaction score
I am in the very early stages of planing a sake... I have read several threads and forum on simple recipes some mention pasteurizing some don't.

What is everyones opinion on the subject... why do it? is it necessary? what are the benefits? the cons?

Also what methods do you prefer, I read about one where you just put your product in a jar in the dishwasher... seems pretty straight forward and simple

Thanks!
Bob

I always pasteurize the sake I make. Sake, like beer, can be easily infected by mold. If you plan on keeping it at or below 40F you probably could get away without pasteurizing it. The pasteurization step helps to ensure that fermentation has stopped and that all the nasties are killed. To pasteurize, place your sake inside a glass container. Fill a saucepan 1/2 full of water and put the sake filled container inside. Turn on the heat and measure the temperature of the sake (not the water). Once the sake inside the glass containers has reached 140F put on closure, tighten it and remove from the water bath. Allow to cool to room temperature. I put my sake in the refrigerator for long term storage just to be safe (sake benefits from 2-6 months of aging). Technically sake can be stored at room temperature after pasteurization.

Totally agree with Laowai, I pasteurize and keep in dark containers or in the dark for long term storage. Short term the fridge at or below40 F. The bad flavours come from yeasts that remains alive or inherent in the sake or bacterial contamination pasteurizing will nullify further yeast development and any bacterial threat. We favour the younger fresh brewed sake for the flavour . We ferment 3 bags about 45 lbs of rice so we have gallons . I bottle in gallon jugs . We ferment in winter and the supply keeps almost a year. The season is under way right now.

I bottle my sake in 1/2 gallon and gallon jugs, I use a water bath. I put a rack in the bottom of my 15 gallon kettle fill water to neck of jug, it is on my propane burner fire it up and bring it to 160 170 hold it there and wait until a thermometer through top of jug reads said temperature, hold it at that temp for 15 minutes minimum take it out tighten the lids and let it cool. I usually do 3 of 15 lb bags of calrose per winter brew season.

Back