pasteurizing jalapenos for jalapeno pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
Im going to put my jalapneo pale ale in the secondary today to add more heat to the already nice jalepeno flavor. I was wondering how i would go about pasteurizing the jalapenos before throwing them in. I also want to add crushed red pepper flakes but I am doubting whether those need to be pasteurized at all.

For my pepper beer, I'm adding dried peppers and fresh peppers, depending on which secondary they're going into.

For the dried ones I was just going to add them. I figure any bacteria won't be able to gain much of a foothold if there's very little sugar to consume, hops, and yeast everywhere.

For the fresh one (serrano), I'm going to roast the pepper which should sterilize it, then I'm adding it.

If I wasn't going to roast it I'd just add it without pasteurizing, personally. Just give it a good wash and slice/remove the seeds if you want.

I made a chili beer using 4 different types of peppers. Two of which I boiled and the other two types I threw into the fermenter. Before putting them in I soaked them in vodka for 20 minutes. The beer turned out great, so I guess it sterilized them.

Back