Pasteurizing Carbonated Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starwater

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m starting a nutritional sparkling water with hemp derived CBD. I am looking for answers on how to pasteurize juice concentrate. I found a couple methods that seem to work but involved some very expensive high-tech machinery. I was wondering if anyone here Had any experience in this type of field it would be nice enough to shed some light. Thank you for your time regarding my concern

If you are in the US, you could talk to your state's USDA Extension office. They might have advice.

If this is a commercial venture, you should also talk to your local and state officials about food processing/production requirements.

If retaining flavor is important, then you will probably have to use that somewhat high-tech and expensive machinery. If you indeed must pasteurize the stuff.

Yeah, if you are in the USA, a USDA extension office might be the first place to check with. They will at least be able to tell you were to find those that can help you.

Find a University in your state that has a School of Agriculture. Likely they'll have an extension service connected with it. And they tend to have services to assist business startups and established businesses. As well as just individuals with agricultural and food handling issues.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I’m starting a nutritional sparkling water with hemp derived CBD. I am looking for answers on how to pasteurize juice concentrate. I found a couple methods that seem to work but involved some very expensive high-tech machinery. I was wondering if anyone here Had any experience in this type of field it would be nice enough to shed some light. Thank you for your time regarding my concern
Thank you for the feedback. What if I were to buy a Kegerator. I used to own own. And run 18 psi through about 2.2 liters. For about7 days. Do you think the carbonations would stay longer

Right now that what I’m having problems with. I make the juice and pasteurize it. Then I use a soda stream and it taste amazing. But after I bottle and About 3 days later you can tell it’s little flatter

If you are in the US, you could talk to your state's USDA Extension office. They might have advice.

If this is a commercial venture, you should also talk to your local and state officials about food processing/production requirements.
Thank you so much

Thank you for the feedback. What if I were to buy a Kegerator. I used to own own. And run 18 psi through about 2.2 liters. For about7 days. Do you think the carbonations would stay longer

Right now that what I’m having problems with. I make the juice and pasteurize it. Then I use a soda stream and it taste amazing. But after I bottle and About 3 days later you can tell it’s little flatter
How are you bottling? Is bottling a requirement?

If you are just going to use a kegerator, you might not need to pasteurize. Make your juice with additives, keg, chill/carbonate. You could also try sulfites/sorbate to stabilize the beverage like you would for backsweetening a country wine.

You might not even need a kegerator if you don't want. You can get a mini fridge to fit corny kegs and use a picnic tap or pluto gun and a CO2 cylinder with regulator. Refills on bulk CO2 are way cheaper than sodastream, from what I gather.

Last edited:
How are you bottling? Is bottling a requirement?

If you are just going to use a kegerator, you might not need to pasteurize. Make you juice with additives, keg, chill/carbonate. You could also try sulfites/sorbate to stabilize the beverage like you would for backsweetening a country wine.

You might not even need a kegerator if you don't want. You can get a mini fridge to fit corny kegs and use a picnic tap or pluto gun and a CO2 cylinder with regulator. Refills on bulk CO2 are way cheaper than sodastream, from what I gather.
Cans… and It’s a requirement. When we are all done we want a carbonated beverage in a car

Is this a business or for personal use?

Above you said bottle, hence some confusion.

What do you have for a canning machine?

I haven't canned, but from what I've read you may want to carbonate higher than desired to account for carbonation lost during the fill.

Still can’t get it right

Bought a soda stream. And filled and capped the beverages but they get flat after about 2 days after I open them. They loose there carbonation.

It’s very odd because the cans feel stiff like they are very carbonated

Can water absorb carbon dioxide

CO2 dissolves in water, yes. That's "carbonation". It is primarily temperature and pressure dependent. More CO2 will dissolve at higher pressure, and at colder water temp. Open a carbonated beverage and allow it to warm up, you have release pressure and raised temp and CO2 will come out of solution.

Back