Pasteurize a milk/vodka chocolate liqueur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_F

Reaction score
I'm not sure what forum would be best for this question, so here goes!

I'm looking at recipes for a chocolate liqueur (trying to reproduce a local product I had a bottle of last year), that all contain milk/cream and about 15-20% ABV. I haven't settled on a recipe yet, but that's not the point...
I"m looking to bottle pasteurize it for shelf stability so I can transport it unrefrigerated for Christmas... Doesn't need to last months, but a week or two at room temperature without killing anybody would be nice.
But, I'm out of my element with a dairy/alcohol liqueur..

Can this be done? Should this be done? or am I going to make something that smell like the contents of a goats stomach, but chocolatyer?

Pointers or warnings welcomed!

I would look into shelf-stable dairy for this type of usage. Seems like a perfect fit...

Cheers!

Just to make sure I'm clear on what you mean; do you mean Ultra-Pasteurized milk/cream?
I was probably going to do that anyway, but I'll move that to the "definitely" list from the "probably" list. :)

Specifically, UHT pasteurized dairy products.
Or even "evaporated" milk, in this case, as it would likely approximate the consistency of liqueur...

Cheers!

Back