Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The decision to trade off the immediate degradation of beer by pasteurization for longer shelf life is one I'm happy not to have to make. Seems like a flat out Hobson's Choice...

Cheers!

Hmm...well given my inability to show self control around my homebrews, this has never been an issue. I would be curious how pasteurizing would effect the taste over time. At any rate, a beer should be good on the shelf for at least a year, probably past that. If what you brewed was a great beer, BREW IT AGAIN! Replication is important when creating something truly great, so why not drink what you've let sit for a couple months, brew more of the same, and repeat as many times as possible!

I can understand the allure of wanting to keep a solid beer on the shelf for 2 or 3 years, but I can't help but feel that brewing more beer is the answer. If that isn't the answer, you're not asking the right questions.

Back