Pasteurization of Berry Puree Using Sous Vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostynostrils

Reaction score
I could use a little help.

A few years ago, my girlfriend and I made a blackberry wheat ale. We started with a very basic wheat beer then added pureed berries in secondary. I attempted to sanitize the blackberries before adding them - I can't remember if I used StarSan or a light bleach solution - but I think a wild yeast got in there. Looking back, it was a pretty drinkable sour but I wasn't familiar with the style at the time so we dumped it when the flavor got too crazy.

So here's what I'm thinking. I want to do a similar beer but I'd like to use my sous vide to pasteurize a berry puree that will be added to the fermenter. When reading about cooking food sous vide from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, he references graphs from the FDA that show that you can cook meat at a lower temperature for a longer time and still kill off bacteria. For instance, I cook my boneless, skinless chicken breasts at a somewhat-low 140 F for 1.5 to 2 hours and have never had any issues.

The problem is that while I can find plenty of information about using sous vide cooking techniques to kill bacteria in meat, I would like to know if anyone can help me figure out the temperature necessary to kill both bacteria and wild yeasts in berries. I would like to puree the berries and strain into a mason jar that I submerge in the water bath. I have seen some links suggesting high temperatures (like 176 F) for a short time. Ideally, I prefer to hold it at a lower temperature for a longer time (several hours, maybe overnight) to preserve more of the fresh berry flavor (rather than the jammy, cooked-berry flavor).

Has anyone tried this? Would something like 130 F for 4 to 8 hours be sufficient? I could just try it but I thought I'd see if anyone had any input first.

Thank You.

Extending the time isn't going to hurt anything for your purposes. So I'd say 140* for as long as you want (past the minimum 2 hours or so that I'd say would keep you safe) should be more than sufficient.

Thanks for the response, ruger988. I think I'll try in in the next couple of brews and see how it works. I'll post results to help anyone else who wants to attempt this in the future.

Latest posts

Back