Passivating stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anvil pot used twice has rainbow look to it inside. I am thinking I need to passivate it. I have Bar Keepers Friend (cleanser and polish). What do yo think about using this to passivate the pot?
Do I need to take out the spigot and thermometer before doing this?

PADave the site you showed calls for oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser (Distilled vinegar), if I read this right. Another site called for the Bar Keepers Friend. Do you think one is better then the other?
And do I need to take off the spigot and thermometer?

BKF is an oxalic acid cleaner. Vinegar is acetic acid.

Despite Palmer's writings there seems to be a lot of disagreement over whether oxalic acid adequately passivates. My new kettle came with instructions that referred to BKF, but my stainless fermenter told me to fill it with a strong StarSan solution for passivation.

I can tell you this, when I had a scratch that showed flash rust, BKF would only keep the rust away for a day. When I scrubbed the scratch with BKF and then treated it with StarSan concentrate, the rust didn't return.

So, welcome to being unsure, you are in good company.

probably overboard but I had little burnt on the bottom so I boiled water and PBW for a while then scrubbed with a Blue Scotch bright pad then rinsed a few times.
then put Bar Keepers Friend with a little water to make a past and scrubbed and spread it all around the inside. Rinsed a few times, let it drip dry and finished with drying with a towel.
Last I spread StarSan (which I mix with RO water. Always have some on hand) All over the inside and let it drip dry.
Pot looks brand new
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Back