Fruit Beer Passionfruit Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunner

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafBrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) 1 pkg, rehydrated
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Light Gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days @ 68 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62 F
Tasting Notes
Tangy wheat beer with a hint of Passionfruit
Passionfruit Wheat

This is a basic recipe I developed to utilize a new class of brewing addition: freeze-dried fruit and herb powders. The great thing about freeze drying is that the powder has a long shelf life, intensely flavored and is naturally sterile, and as such can be added post-boil. This particular product has no additives or preservatives and is very lightweight to ship. In the example below I’ve added it to the primary. Products can be sourced from Purely Artisan Foods who is an exclusive distributor of this brand in North America. These products are NON-GMO and contain no artificial colors or binders. Purely Artisan Foods offers several different flavors in their online store and have multiple package discounts and free shipping in the USA.

The recipe below is for Passionfruit powder in a wheat base, but I’ve had similar success with the raspberry and plum powders, though the plum in particular results in a cloudy beer that is better filtered.

The overall notes imparted by the powders are (obviously) the fruit characteristics, along with a distinct tart/sourness. You definitely want some residual malty sweetness to stand up to the tartness; you might even want to raise the mash temp to 153 F if you’re looking for a sweeter fruit beer. The hop schedule is light because you don’t want the bitterness to drown out the fruit notes, and that tart/sourness is going to be the primary counter to residual sugars.

The resulting brew is refreshing with clear fruit notes on the nose and in the mouth, but it’s not overpowering. Tasty stuff for a hot summer day.

Grain bill:

5 lbs Pale Malt
4 lbs White Wheat Malt

Hops:

0.20 oz Perle (9.00%) - Boil 60 minutes
0.50 oz Tettnang (4.50%) - Boil 15 minutes

Other additions:

1 Pkg. (40 grams) freeze-dried Passion Fruit Powder (added to primary fermentor, see description above for source)

Mash @ 151 F for 60 minutes. Add fruit powder to primary when you’re pitching the yeast. The secondary fermentation is principally to clear the beer; it takes a while for the fruit powder to fall out. Consider using Whirl-floc or another addition to the boil, and/or crash-cooling to assist with that. If you’ve got a filter, use it.

Okay I just looked at that site and it costs $50 for a 40 g bag! Thats crazy. That is an expensive beer to make. The idea intrigues me but the cost seems outrageous. Or am I missing something here.

Not sure where you're seeing $50 but the site the OP suggests has the 40g packet for $12.25 with free shipping. Still a little pricey but not too bad.

Also found 5 ounces (about what 140-150 grams?) for $15 plus shipping on another site.

I went back to the site and noticed the drop down quantity box was defaulted for 5 and that total was $50. That makes this one I may try soon.

Not sure where you're seeing $50 but the site the OP suggests has the 40g packet for $12.25 with free shipping. Still a little pricey but not too bad.

Also found 5 ounces (about what 140-150 grams?) for $15 plus shipping on another site.

How sour is sour? I was thinking about doing a simple IPA version of this

Basic recipe:

Two Row
Crystal 20
magnum to bitter
1oz each citra and mosaic @ 5 min
1oz each citra and mosaic @ flameout
Passionfruit powder @ flameout

Back