Passion Fruit Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
So I've decided to create another fruit beer since my watermelon wheat ale turned out absolutely fabulous. I found the recipe for the watermelon wheat in recipe database section.

For my next recipe I want to create and passion fruit ale bc I think that the flavor will really stand out of the ale is light enough with a hint of malty-ness. I have not seen any passion fruit recipes so as far as OG and FG I will be working blind until I make it. I assume the OG will be in the 1.047-55 range (max 1.060) and the FG should be 1.019-024. I'm looking to add passion fruit nectar since I can't find any of the actual fruit and will probably add 6-8 cups of the nectar so i get that passion fruit finish.

Ordered the ingredients tonight so hopefully they will be here by the start of next week. Hopefully brewing soon afterwards...very excited. Any suggestions??

[Grains]
Light DME 4.000lb Extract 50.0%
Two-row (US) 1.000lb Grain 12.5%
Corn Sugar 1.000lb Sugar 12.5%
Caramel Wheat Malt 1.000lb Grain 12.5%
Flaked Oats 0.500lb Adjunct 6.2%
Flaked Wheat 0.500lb Adjunct 6.2%

[Hops]
Citra 0.50oz 13.9% AA Pellet @ 45 min, 19 IBU
Citra 0.50oz 13.9% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 7 IBU

Bry-97 Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

I use a passion fruit purée from a cooking supply store for mine. That way I don't worry about infections.

bodhi said:
I use a passion fruit purée from a cooking supply store for mine. That way I don't worry about infections.

How much purée did you use?

Interesting thread for me here Nativesun, as there is a microbrewery a few blocks from my house that has a tasty Watermelon Wit that I have to fill my watermelon needs (Parallel 49 beers) and we have another mini brewery near by that has a 4 fruit ale.

I tried my version of this myself, and following suggestions from this website added about a pound per gallon. In my case I added a pound of passion fruit, raspberry, and mango to a 6 gallon batch and I found the passion fruit to be too over powering. The beer that I was trying to emulate was WAY more subtle.

This is their description from their web site (Howe Sound . com)
Description

This beer is a combination of mango, passionfruit, raspberry and pomegranate. Sybillia hops are used in the brewing process with 50% white wheat, and 50% barley. The use of only 100% fruit purées with no fruit essences or artificial flavours added makes for an authentic fruit flavour and aroma. Following in the trends of lighter fruit ales, the refreshing flavours and dryness of this ale make it an excellent summer offering and is the first Howe Sound fruit ale to be bottled and supplied in draft format.
14 IBUs

11.7o PLATO

4.4% alc./vol

Sorry, I deleted my recipe from beersmith, but I started with a half wheat half barley recipe and went from there.

Good luck!

Anybody tried this? The passion Fruit puree I found is VERY sour, I'm a bit nervous about adding it to my secondary because I don't like sour flavors in my beer.

I’m back from a long hiatus from the forum. My passion fruit beer is a bit on the tart side. I took the same measurement of juice from my watermelon beer. 8 cups for 5.5 gallons-ish. But I would totally bring it down to 4 or maybe 3 cups to a 5-6 gallon batch for a more subtle flavor that isn’t too tart!!!

Did you follow the recipe I put up? I also have some stuff on brewtoad.com

I’ve also changed the recipe since I’ve last posted in 2013.

Greetings, I am very, Very interested in this beer you made, and was just wondering if you were gonna share any updates on your final recipe, tasting notes, etc. I am trying to come up with a wheat beer recipe suitable for fruit additions. I was originally thinking about watermelon and apricots (think 21st Amendment Hell High or Watermelon and Ithaca Beer's Apricot Wheat), but your post inspired me to think about a wheat beer base that could be suitable for other fruits as well. One thing that I would want to avoid is a tart beer. Perhaps others appreciate tart, but I don't really because I feel it overwhelms other flavors. In future iterations of your recipe, would you try to restrain tartness? I was wondering if you have tried this again with some light caramel or honey malt for additional sweetness to balance out the tartness. Also, and I don't know if you intended to create a tropical fruit bomb using Citra, but I was wondering if you considered using a more neutral hop, like Willamette or Hallertauer or a similar noble hop, or perhaps something like Huell Mellon that is less citrus and more of a fruity character. I'm planning to experiment soon with Huell Mellon hops, never used them before, but was wondering if you thought of using them as well. Cheers!

Greetings, I am very, Very interested in this beer you made, and was just wondering if you were gonna share any updates on your final recipe, tasting notes, etc. I am trying to come up with a wheat beer recipe suitable for fruit additions. I was originally thinking about watermelon and apricots (think 21st Amendment Hell High or Watermelon and Ithaca Beer's Apricot Wheat), but your post inspired me to think about a wheat beer base that could be suitable for other fruits as well. One thing that I would want to avoid is a tart beer. Perhaps others appreciate tart, but I don't really because I feel it overwhelms other flavors. In future iterations of your recipe, would you try to restrain tartness? I was wondering if you have tried this again with some light caramel or honey malt for additional sweetness to balance out the tartness. Also, and I don't know if you intended to create a tropical fruit bomb using Citra, but I was wondering if you considered using a more neutral hop, like Willamette or Hallertauer or a similar noble hop, or perhaps something like Huell Mellon that is less citrus and more of a fruity character. I'm planning to experiment soon with Huell Mellon hops, never used them before, but was wondering if you thought of using them as well. Cheers!

I’m not near my recipe book at the moment. When I get back I’ll look at the new grain bill and see if I added any after notes.

So 12 days later I found the book. I changed the recipe the 2nd time I did it. Unfortunately I didn’t leave any after notes about taste and such. I remember my first batch was good but tart with 8 cups of pulp.

New grain bill:

7lbs 2-row
3lbs- gold LME
2lbs- caramel 80L
1lbs of flaked wheat

2 oz citra hops

Wyeast 1056 American ale

3-4 cups of passion fruit pulp.

I think that’s a good balance.

I agree with the OP's findings of the tartness, maybe even more so. I've done what you described using a basic Am wheat recipe (50/50 2 row and wheat malt with small amount of perle or hallertau for lowish bittering) as a fruit base for watermelon and passion fruit. I use about 5 c fresh watermelon juice in 5 gals which is right for me, but found that just 2.5 c of passionfruit juice (reconstituted from Perfect Puree concentrate) was pretty noticeable in 5 gals of that base beer. Not overwhelmingly tart but I wouldn't want to go any higher at least with that beer, not much going on compared to the recipe above.

Back