Party pig opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
OK geezers (Revvy, Yooper, Ed Wort :rockin:etc....) What do you guys think of party pigs? I've been looking at them and they seemlike a nice option for those of us who just arent ready to drop the cash for a corney setup. Give me some feedback yall. If you dont know what i'm talking about go to Partypig.com.

I've never used them, but they seem like a great idea in theory. I've seen some threads in the past that have talked about them, but I really can't remember the consensus on them.

(And I'm not trying to be unhelpful, just because you called me a Geezer! I just really don't know about this product!)

Hopefully some actual users can chime in on this one. I'd like to know what they think about it.

I checked them out along with the tap-a-draft and went with the TAD system. Unfortunately, I'm about 10 days from using it for the first time, so I can't really tell you about it either.

We're just a huge help here so far, aren't we? :D

No offence meant Madam. The term Geezer is a term of endearment(Meant as a compliment). Its simply meant as a colorful way of saying "experienced and trusted".

Haha- I know. No problem here. I just don't know any thing about them. I started kegging a couple of years ago, so I never even thought about the party pigs or even tap-a-draft, but they look like great ideas.

I've never used a party pig, but when I picked them up and looked them over at the LHBS, I quickly put them down and let them be. I think you often get what you pay for. Yes, a Co2 regulator is expensive, and so is the tank, and then you have to refill it every so often.....(The kegs themselves are cheap enough) but the whole setup is invaluable in my opinion. I own two 2.5 gal. kegs too- and those are the ones that I bring out to parties. (O.K., those things cost too much, but again......It's worth it!)
You can Lager in them, and save space when compared to a 5gal carboy in a fridge...You can crash cool and keg in a few days.....they are way more durable......blah blah- you see where I'm going....Weather you get a piggy or not- I believe a Corny keg setup is something to invest in- either all at once, or slowly......

I've use The Pig before. I started brewing steeped extract 10 plus years ago and picked one up at that time. I don't remember having any troubles or issues with them. For me, a five gallon batch gets split in half, half going into the pig and the rest I bottled in 22 ounce bottles.

My only complaint was that if I'm drinking from the pig I don't know how much beer I've had. I can't count empty bottles....:)

I stopped brewing for a number of years (like six/seven) and recently got back into it. I pulled my old pig out and even picked up another one. The new one is still in the box. The older one gave me a HELL of a time. I couldn't get the bag that goes inside to pop. The idea is that you use a small hand help squeeze pump to pump air into the pig. This pops a small bladder that is placed inside the pig when you fill it w/ beer. It works like a smack pack and expands, forcing beer out when you push the button.

I could NOT get this thing to pop. I heard from the guy that works at the Pig company that the amount of pressure to pop the bladder bag was around 15psi. I ended up hooking my bicycle pump up to it and pumped it to 35 psi. WAY too much presure for this thing. the bladder STILL didn't pop. My beer went flat... :(

I still plan on using my pigs and hope I don't have this issue again. For me, in a small apartment, the pig is nice. I do like to have bottles around to give as gifts but I HATE having to store empties.

However, I think the Tap A Draft might be better. It seems like less hassle since it lacks the bladder the pig uses.

I've use one and think it is great. You will hear complaints about priming (that bladder thing) but if you follow instructions (there are some good tutorials on the net . . . not that you really need them) it is fine. Best way is to use your foot for pumping and hold on to the hose. Piece of cake.

It's like kegging but on the cheap.

The only problem is priming sugar. You need 1/3 not 1/2 the amount of sugar for priming so you have to figure out the logistics for 1/2 for half the batch and 1/3 for the other half.

Also - do not buy the filling stand thing. Just cut the box the pig comes in and use that for standing the pig up to fill.

Haven't used a Party Pig....but was looking at one as well as a Tap a Draft before I got into kegging. I wound up with Tap a Draft, and quickly found out how expensive it was over a keg. IMO, Tap a Draft is good for needing something portable....but I was finding that I went with a case of CO2 cartridges per couple of batches. Main thing I found was that the plastic regulator was inconsistant (it didn't seem to keep a constant psi and actually dented my containers several times). The TAD would lose carbination every week, so I'd have to replace the spent cartridges. I then decided to just bite the bullet with a keg setup. Chances are since you are a member on this site, you're brewing enough to consider just getting kegging!! There is a slightly higher upfront cost over the Party Pig and TAD, but after that....it's just $14 or so dollars to fill up a CO2 tank. The actual keg equipment isn't that expensive or hard to setup....it's the impending desire to setup a tap system/ IE kegorator that then ads up :)

Not all of us has space for kegging. Sure I can afford it, but I don't have a place in an apartment for it. There are more considerations than money.

I've use them for several years and it's one part of my containerizing. I bottle and keg also but find them to be convenient to take to few functions as well as giving friends a half batch that they can keep in their fridge. Follow the directions as Grinder stated and you should not have any issues.

They do seem pretty cool for those of us who don't have the space/money for a kegging setup. The only thing keeping me from buying one is that you apparently need a new pressure pouch for each use, and they're almost $4 each. Not worth it for me.

When I used them in the past I didn't divide out the priming sugar for half a batch of beer. I just used the same amount as I normally do when bottling. I don't recall having any issues but I also had less knowledge and understanding about beer back them.... (so maybe it was over presurized?)

If I had room, I'd keg.

I'm torn. It seems pretty cool, but I think I can piece together a corny system for $150 or so, and at that price the party pig's $50 for half a batch and closer to $100 for one 5-gallon batch doesn't make much sense (esp. when additional cornys are only $20/5 gallons).

Basically, I like the idea but the price-point seems not quite enough to make it worthwile unless you only brew very occasionally.

I have one and it works good for splitting the batch. I don't use it as much now since I keg now though. The toughest part for me was when it was empty and the pressure pouch was filling the Pig, you have to unscrew the gasket just empty to fit some wire or a bent coat hanger in there to pop the pouch before you take the gasket out.
Other than that, the beer carbonated fine in it and it did speed up the bottling process.

I have a pair of pigs. I like them and use them on a regular basis.

If you expect to upgrade to a kegging system in the future save you money for that and skip the pig. Corny kegs are much more reliable and easier to use. However if you would like a beer "on tap" that fits in a standard fridge the pig is a reasonable choice.

Pros:
reasonable cost of entry
fits in a standard fridge without modification
Doesn't require and special tools to use
Easily portable
Does not leak or loose carbonation
Can serve beer over months if necessary

Cons:
pouches are expensive ($3.5-$5.5 per use)
They must be primed and at a different rate than your bottles
The pouches can result in inconsistent pour rates and even flat beer in some situations

I have found the pigs work great if you put the beer in the fridge once it is conditioned and draw a pint or a few pints every day. If you try to drain it in one evening, like serving a party, the pouch doesn't keep up. If you leave it unused for a long time the pouch may no long maintain the same pressure. If you leave it long enough (6 months or more) it may no longer provide any pressure and your beer will go flat.

Yes everything on the pig is plastic, except the ring holding on the valve, but the design is very simple and should last a long time. The pressure is maintained based on a chemical reaction in the pouch and the valve is a very simple push to open device. The unique thing is the valve has the equivalent of several feet of small diameter hose built into it which keeps foaming under control much like balancing the pressure with hose length in a kegging setup.

Craig

Party Pigs can have problems, but they work well most of the time. One of the local breweries sells beer in Pigs as well as kegs. Dave probably has 40-50 of them.

Back