Party=Bmc drinkers=drinking my craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
WHy is it when I go to a party/get together/gathering of friends that they always want to try my beer? Not the beer I brewed, the beer I bought. They always buy coors light and I don't want that kibble. They try to trade beer for beer and they don't understand why I am so resistant.

BUY YOUR OWN CRAFT BEER!

The idea of flavor intrigues them but they get so caught up on a 3 dollar difference for a 6 pack that they refuse to buy it.

I have a friend who adamantly argues that "NO ONE" likes the taste of beer. This friend ONLY buys BMC except "when he wants to get F***ed up" he buys an IPA. I tried explaining to him that maybe he doesn't like very hoppy beers. "No all beer is gross" he says. Very interesting seeing as when I have brewed a blonde, hefe, amber ale, pilsner, basically anything lightly hopped but flavorful, he wants more of it...

It's simple, your beer costs more and tastes better, why would they buy it if they know you'll be there with some "good stuff" for them to sample. Just trade them 1 for two until you get ****faced enough to stop caring I guess. Or, . . . . . . get a better class of friends:)

COLObrewer said:
It's simple, your beer costs more and tastes better, why would they buy it if they know you'll be there with some "good stuff" for them to sample. Just trade them 1 for two until you get ****faced enough to stop caring I guess. Or, . . . . . . get a better class of friends:)

Haha! I have got better friends. Thank god for my homebrew club

I play in a band. One of my guitarists drinks like a fish. Whenever I bring my homebrew, he drinks it all up, exclaiming how good it it. When I don't bring homebrew, he either has his own case of Busch, or he'll bum a few beers off of me (good beer). This wouldn't bother me so much, except I always warn him.

"Hey, this is Sierra Nevada, not that piss you like."

to which he responds "That's ok, I usually buy that stuff at home."

He'll then suck down half of my six pack and never once, NOT ONCE, has he brought anything better than Busch or Miller Light.

My opinion on this is that he is being an ******* and too cheap to at the least occasionally show up with a sixer of decent beer. But no, he only buys the good stuff for himself and has no problems bumming the good stuff from me.

I won't bring homebrew or share my beer anymore.

Let them come brew with you, get them hooked to the hobby, problem solved, haha.

Boomer - I know the feeling. Have a friend who says he HATES hoppy beers, and can't stand IPAs. So I bring Souther Tier IIPA to party, he chugs three, then tells me how nasty and bitter it is. Fool me once, shame on...well, actually, he just doesn't get any of my beer anymore.

Politely let them know you don't like Coors light which is why you brought your own beer, so if you trade yours away all you get is something you don't enjoy, which defeats the whole purpose of bringing craft beer in the first place. Then you end up not getting to enjoy what you like. If they are friends, they don't want you to not have a good time. If they aren't friends, well who cares what they think.

Every Sunday I go to my friends house for a pool party and we all bring our own beer. I always bring my 6 pack of craft beer or my own beer but they all bring coors light and bud light. It's annoying bed they all want to try the beer I bring. It gets annoying because they don't want to pay the extra money for it but yet they bum it off me.

This is why i don't bring good beer to gatherings or partys anymore. They are naturally curious what the homebrew guy is drinking because he typically knows more about beer. They just don't get it that you brought your craft beer cause you don't want bmc.

I just use these occasions to enjoy some pabst though. No one wants my beer then and i enjoy pabst.

Yeah ive had the same issue...I keep a mini fridge in my bed room for the beer my wife and I drink...It's essentially off limits unless it's me or the wife...But during parties/family gatherings people want to raid it and drink it, thats fine but drink it!! Dont let me find 1/2 friggin empty beers all over my house because it wasn't to your liking, when if you would have asked I would have directed you towards a beer more to your liking....But further more...>DO NOT!!! I repeat do not gripe when I say, we are out of beer, go get some Yeungling....See i'm nice, I'm not even asking for what you took! I'm asking for the cheapest beer I enjoy! SO DO NOT GRIPE!! I had to set the step son strait quickly over this...now it's his damn fiance that just can grasp the concept.

I stopped playing this game all together. I take only good beer I can have on my person...usually a bomber maybe 2(ill keep one in the fridge until Im ready). Most people are too afraid of the beer or social etiquitte to drink a large format bottle. I will also bring a 6 pack or so of BMC so as not to be a rude guest(maybe I have one or two, maybe I dont) I generally do not mind sharing good beer with friends who are not in the know, but I will typically share tastes.

Just bring some Shock Top or Blue Moon...both lame but good enough for coors swillers.

Here's your solution: buy the cheapest case of beer you can find. Leave it in your car; when folks try to bum your craft beer give them one of those instead.

Problem solved. :mug:

bring your own cooler - people are less likely to go digging in there then just grab a beer that looks good out of the fridge

I try not to come across as a beer snob. If I'm ever accused of being a beer snob, I just tell them that I prefer flavor. :D

I guess I'm fortunate enough that most of my friends enjoy what I consider to be good craft beer. But I typically only bring stuff that is easily available, nothing rare or aged, unless the others reciprocate. I've turned a few friends on to better beer over the years, and that has benefited me in the long run. :D

I cellar, and my wife knows to not take anything out of the cellar, or let anyone else take anything out of the cellar. When I have people coming over, its best if I have some homebrew, but if I'm out, I'll make sure to have decent craft beer on hand.

Back