partigyle questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myty1705

Reaction score
first off I am horrible at math!!! so this is a math question. I am wanting to figure my brewhouse efficiency off of a partigyle because this is the only batch I have done that I took definitive measurements of. So if you can help please do. I know there are some calculators out there that will give calculate partigyle, but I can't figure out how to use them to figure efficiency in reverse.

Here is the recipe and the measurements:
12 lb american 2 row
1 lb english brown
1 lb chocolate malt
.25 lb black patent

using 5 gallons for mash water. Batch sparged with 7 gallons of water first three gallons are noted as 2nd runnings, remainder is 3rd runnings

numbers are as follows
1st running - 3 gallons pre boil at 1.080 1.875 gallons post boil at 1.119
2nd running - 3 gallons pre boil at 1.033 1.875 gallons post boil at 1.050
3rd running - 3.52 gallons pre boil at 1.025 2.75 gallons post boil at 1.044

So you ended up with about 6.5 gallons of 1.062 wort, or something like that, right? That'll land you about 78% (Roughly, I'm kinda doing this in my head)

My thinking is that you are advanced enough of a brewer to do parti-gyle, you can figure out the basic math it would take to your efficiency.

In short though:
Your hydrometer reading can be equated to the number of gravity points per gallon. Its a simple converting: 1.050 on the hydrometer means you have 50 pts per gallon (pts/gal) of wort.

From here you can multiply your pts/gal by the volume of wort you have: In my example you have 50pt/gal. Say you have 2 gallons of it...that is 100 pts total (50x2).

There you have it. You can calculate the total number of points in each running of your partiglye. Adding them up with tell you your total number of points extracted from the grain.

To calculate efficiency: Divide what you got out of the grains by what the theoretical max of the grain is.

Each grain has a published ballpark theoretical maximum of pts/gallon. For example 2-row is around 34 pts/gallon. This means if you take 1 lb of grain and get 1 gallon of wort/running from it, the absolute best you can do it get 34 pts from it. The hydrometer should read 1.034.

What you do now is calcuate the max pts from your grist by each quantity of grain by its max potential (pts/gal), then adding them up. That is max number of gravity points.

So for a grist of 6 lbs of 2-row: that is 6*34= 204 pts. If this is the grist that you used in my example above to get that 1.050, then you had a 100/204 = 49% efficiency.

Hope this makes sense.

Back