Partigyle for Dummies, by a dummy....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell

Reaction score
This is a placeholder for a step by step as I get my things together for my highly documented 'one mash, two beers'. I hope to get lots of photos, do a true step by step with my experiences/mistakes.

The idea is to do a IIPA based on the various Pliny Clone, and then an APA/Bitter.

According to http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html , Mosher's table, with the following grain bill, I would get a 1.060 beer at 14 gallons as I hope to get two equal volumes of 6.5 ish wort. The first runnings according to the table should be 1.080, heavy for the pliny clone, assuming for my efficiency on my first partigyle try, I think that this should get me around 1.075. Then, all things going according to plan, the second runnings would be in the 1.040 range. I am going to have DME on hand should gravities get weird on me, so I was considering adding DME to bring this into the 1.054ish range to be more in line with a typical APA.

I'm going to attempt this in the ubiquitous 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler, so assuming .125gallons/lb absorbtion of 3.25 gallons, so to get a full 6.75 preboil volume, I will fill this tun right up to the top @ 9.75ish gallons. In an ideal world, I'd like to get 6.5 gallons preboil, and just use a light rolling boil to finish out with 5.5 gallons of the IIPA. Since the grain bed would be pretty wet already, I would use just shy of the full amount again, and let the mash sit while the first is boiling. Collect another 6.5 gallons of 1.040ish, and either go with a simple bitter, or use a little DME to bring it up to APA range.

These are my two 'go to' styles, so I'd have an APA to enjoy, while the IIPA aged/dryhopped.

Grain bill idea:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout
Recipe: PlinyGyle
Brewer: Boswell
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 0.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
22 lbs 3.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.5 %
1 lbs 1.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %
1 lbs 1.8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.2 %
1 lbs 13.6 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 7.0 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 26 lbs 4.5 oz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't even started to consider hop varieties yet. I've read Vinny uses the hop extracts, so I was going to purchase the Hop Shot hop extract to bitter, which should save me a little of volume as well.

Has anyone made a hop tea to substitute for some of the dryhopping?

Does this seem to add up so far? I'd like to do a whole day 11.11.11 brew.

I did a few times, little success the first couple tries, then I had a kid which took me away from brewing for a few. Planning on completing this thread in a few weeks as I'm comfortable with the process now.

Also interested to see some updates when they're ready.

I am planning on doing Mosher's Big Toot/Little Toot recipe from Radical Brewing. 2.5 g barley wine with a 5g sessionable bitter.

It's not difficult, you just have to be flexible with what you get as an outcome. I recently moved my beer junk to my new abode, I will update (actually follow through) with this thread. I may have to tweak aforementioned recipe, and I probably can't edit original posting, so perhaps a new thread and I'll email mods to delete this one. I shouldn't have started this thread without a tried and true process, but 3 years later and two kids and I think I can pull it off. The process works, it's messy, but my assumptions were correct.

I did a few times, little success the first couple tries, then I had a kid which took me away from brewing for a few. Planning on completing this thread in a few weeks as I'm comfortable with the process now.

Hey! Boswell! How did things end up? You never finished the thread! I'm getting ready to try a particular and was hoping for more info. And congrats on the baby!

Back