Partigyle & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In order to get more production from my limited number of brew days, I've started using a partigyle system where I get two different batches/brews/beers from each brew day. By making the second beer/recipe mostly extract, I am able to do this with very little added time to my brew day (like 1 extra hour).

I usually make one main beer (mostly all grain), but increase the grain bill about 10%. I then plan the second extract beer/recipe to be compatible with the base grains of the first beer.

I take a gallon of strike water to steep grains for the second extract beer in a separate kettle, and then after mashing the main beer, I use 1-2 gallons of the wort (or sometimes just the sparge) to mix into the extract batch. I then just round out the extract brew with LME or DME as needed. Sometimes I heat the second kettle to boil, or sometimesI just add near boiling water from the main beer and do a hop tea on the side.

I've really enjoyed this process, and just wanted to pass along the suggestion in case anyone else is looking for a way to better maximize their limited brew day opportunities. It's fun to plan a brew day out with two complimentary beers, and then to get two different beers from each brew day (currently have an all-gain blonde and extract vanilla milk stout fermenting from last weekend).

Last edited:

Steveruch

Reaction score
In order to get more production from my limited number of brew days, I've started using a partigyle system where I get two different batches/brews/beers from each brew day. By making the second beer/recipe mostly extract, I am able to do this with very little added time to my brew day (like 1 extra hour).

I usually make one main beer (mostly all grain), but increase the grain bill about 10%. I then plan the second extract beer/recipe to be compatible with the base grains of the first beer.

I take a gallon of strike water to steep grains for the second extract beer in a separate kettle, and then after mashing the main beer, I use 1-2 gallons of the wort (or sometimes just the sparge) to mix into the extract batch. I then just round out the extract brew with LME or DME as needed. Sometimes I heat the second kettle to boil, or sometimesI just add near boiling water from the main beer and do a hop tea on the side.

I've really enjoyed this process, and just wanted to pass along the suggestion in case anyone else is looking for a way to better maximize their limited brew day opportunities. It's fun to plan a brew day out with two complimentary beers, and then to get two different beers from each brew day (currently have an all-gain blonde and extract vanilla milk stout fermenting from last weekend).
Write that up in detail and submit it to Zymurgy. It sounds like something Dave Carpenter (editor) might be interested in. 750 words for Last Drop.

OP
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually think of 5-6 options that I want to brew anyway, and then look at recipes on this site to look for overlapping base malts/grain bills. I then tinker a bit to see how much overlap I can get (the closer, the easier), and enter them both into Brewer's Friend app to check for gravity, color, IBU, etc. (I just guesstimate the grain bill for each one - usually assigning 80-90% to tge all grain beer and the rest to the second extract beer). If Brewer's Friend says either comes up short on gravity, I just add DME until it looks right -So a lot of guess work on the edges, but starting with proven homebrew recipes tested and approved from this community.

Tancred the Brewer

Brewing Irony
Reaction score
I have taken a similar approach. I typically only have time to brew 2-3 times a year. So getting two beers out of one day's work is a bonus. I have had a lot of success with a Rye Barleywine as my first run followed by a rye pale ale for my second beer. Depending on how my mash efficiency is I usually need to add about 1 pound of dme to the second beer to hit target. I have found I can start the boil on the first beer while sparging for the second beer. I usually end up with the boils being about 20 minutes apart, so it makes for a bit of a crazy hour remembering which hops go in which boil at each time marker. But by doing a simultaneous boil I am able to get both beers done in 7 hours from start of pulling out equipment to everything cleaned, dried and put away. Very efficient way of brewing.

BrewnWKopperKat

... and I held their beer while the kat watched.
Reaction score
There's a new article over at Craft Beer and Brewing (link) where the author talks about making three different beers (around 11 gallons total) from a single 5 gallon batch. The basic process involves mashing a high OG wort, then splitting/blending/diluting before the start of the boil.

OP
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@BrewnWKopperKat - I actually saw that article earlier this month. Interesting suggestions. But unless you are just categorically opposed to using malt extract, DME and/or LME can also be used to very much speed up and differentiate those beers with less need for dilution. I guess different dry hopping could also be used to further differentiate the beers, but I rarely dry hop at the moment.

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
DME and/or LME can also be used to very much speed up and differentiate those beers with less need for dilution
Agreed.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that fresh DME/LME is just another ingredient. I'm also curious about dilution. I've had successes (all grain, 40% dilution) and failures (DME, 100% dilution) - and the levels of dilution I saw in the article seems to "challenge the conventional wisdom".

OP
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So very much to my surprise, the Vanilla Milk Stout (mostly) extract turned out better than my all-grain (and really researched) Blonde. -Though the blonde may still be improving with age.

So far, the all-grain batches have a clear advantage in results, but the extract batches are a lot closer second than I expected.

Next up, I think I am doing a Munich Smash, and using some of that wort to make wheat extract batch (-or maybe a Vienna Smash, but probably not). I'm a tad concerned the munich maybe too dark for the wheat, but it will probably be diluted (and I'm just kind of feeling it). Will see. Probably won't brew until the end of March (and will probably change my mind before then).

OP
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got an extra chance to brew this weekend. Did the Vienna Smash (Northern Brewer) and used two gallons of it to mix into a Hefeweizen (which will be a total wild card because it uses a lot of Bavarian Wheat DME which I have not used before). -Curious to see how it all turns out.

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
I came across a similar topic (link) that might spart / inspire some additional interest in this topic.

In another topic (link), there is mention of custom spreadsheet. I have my own custom spreadsheet (not yet updated for this type of 'partygyle' brewing), so I didn't see if the spreadsheet could still be downloaded.

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
Long time ago, when high quality search was available, it would account for hypens.

Discussion and link sharing (assuming the links don't 'decay' over time) will continue to move us forward.

OP
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally kegged/bottled the Vienna Smash and Hefeweizen last night.

The Vienna (all grain) turned out great. At 4.7% its the weakest beer I've brewed, but it has a great flavor.

The Hefeweizen (extract) is a bit too heavy, and a bit belgian-tasting. I think I should have fermented it a bit cooler, but it may still mellow with time. It's good, just not as good as it smelled. -But definitely worth the extra 30 minutes to make a second batch.

Still figuring out what my next partigyle brew day will be. Maybe wit & saison, maybe munich & dunkel. Maybe something else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Munich Smash ale and used 1-2 gallons of it to make an extract Octoberfest lager. Will see how these turn out. The extract Octoberfest seems like a bit of a gamble, but the extract Hefeweizen eventually turned out pretty good.