partigyle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthSide

Reaction score
i'm planning on trying a partigyle for the first time and i could use a little advice. the big beer will be an imperial stout and small will possibly be an american brown.
here's my recipe so far:
18 lb marris otter
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lb black patent
1 lb crystal 120
1 lb flaked barley
.5 lb carapils

i mash in a 10 gallon cooler, and with 23 lbs of grain it's going to be tight. i plan on mashing for 90 minutes at 150.
i've seen a few high grav recipes that recommend a 90 min boil, not sure if this is necessary since i won't need to boil off a lot of excess cuz i'm going to use the 2nd runnings for another beer.
i am expecting to guess on a lot of the measurements, and just hope that i get enough for two 5 gallon batches.
anyone have any tips or advice when doing a partigyle? does this recipe look like it will work for a 5 gal imp stout and maybe a 4-5% abv brown ale?
thanks

I am going to bump this, because I would love to see some opinions. I am looking into my first partigyle and something like this looks like it would be great for me.

i'm planning on trying a partigyle for the first time and i could use a little advice. the big beer will be an imperial stout and small will possibly be an american brown.
here's my recipe so far:
18 lb marris otter
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lb black patent
1 lb crystal 120
1 lb flaked barley
.5 lb carapils

i mash in a 10 gallon cooler, and with 23 lbs of grain it's going to be tight. i plan on mashing for 90 minutes at 150.
i've seen a few high grav recipes that recommend a 90 min boil, not sure if this is necessary since i won't need to boil off a lot of excess cuz i'm going to use the 2nd runnings for another beer.
i am expecting to guess on a lot of the measurements, and just hope that i get enough for two 5 gallon batches.
anyone have any tips or advice when doing a partigyle? does this recipe look like it will work for a 5 gal imp stout and maybe a 4-5% abv brown ale?
thanks

I think you hear about people doing 90 minute boils because they do a very thin, no sparge mash on the first run. Then they have to boil down to get to the proper volume and increase the OG. I'm guessing you could pull a second beer in the 3-4% range on your second runnings with this grain bill.. Just a guess, though..

Once I did this, and I wanted a bigger beer on the second run. I added a couple more lbs of base malt after the first run and did a second, short mash.

Back