Partially Partial Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fells_Pint

Reaction score
Is it possible to partial mash a small amount of base malts to add to an extract recipe?

I'm a few extract recipes into my homebrewing obsession (poor girlfriend got it as a valentines day gift last year thinking it would yield her more free beer :mug: ), and I honestly hadn't considered going into partial mashing until last night when I was at the homebrew store.

I've been working on a dry stout recipe for St Paddy's Day, and had heard a few mentions of acidulated malt being used to add that sour twang flavor. I didn't think much of it as an extract brewer, until I was at the store, where the employee was re-filling the grain mill and asked if I had ever tasted this one malt and handed me a sample. Funny enough, it was acidulated malt. On a whim I bought 8 oz of it, and decided to see if I could steep the sour twang out of it.

My research seems to lean more towards having to mash the grains, so I started researching partial mash more, but didn't see any answers to this particular type of situation.

Is it possible to partial mash about 2.5 lb of grains (steeping grains like Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley and the 8 oz of acidulated malt) then add in the 2 cans of extract and hops? Would this work? Would it screw up the sugar count and ruin the beer in the end?

Thanks for any advice and slainte!

Sounds like you're exactly describing partial mash/extract. That is, mash some grains, but also use some extract. You'll probably want a grain bag, and you'll basically wind up doing partial-mash brew-in-a-bag (PM/BIAB). That's what I do most times.

Is it possible to partial mash a small amount of base malts to add to an extract recipe?

I'm a few extract recipes into my homebrewing obsession (poor girlfriend got it as a valentines day gift last year thinking it would yield her more free beer :mug: ), and I honestly hadn't considered going into partial mashing until last night when I was at the homebrew store.

I've been working on a dry stout recipe for St Paddy's Day, and had heard a few mentions of acidulated malt being used to add that sour twang flavor. I didn't think much of it as an extract brewer, until I was at the store, where the employee was re-filling the grain mill and asked if I had ever tasted this one malt and handed me a sample. Funny enough, it was acidulated malt. On a whim I bought 8 oz of it, and decided to see if I could steep the sour twang out of it.

My research seems to lean more towards having to mash the grains, so I started researching partial mash more, but didn't see any answers to this particular type of situation.

Is it possible to partial mash about 2.5 lb of grains (steeping grains like Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley and the 8 oz of acidulated malt) then add in the 2 cans of extract and hops? Would this work? Would it screw up the sugar count and ruin the beer in the end?

Thanks for any advice and slainte!

yes this would def work, but chocolate and roasted arnt base malts. you would want something like 2row, marris otter or the likes.

Thanks for the responses! Partial mashing didn't occur to me until after i'd bought my steeping grains. Will mashing those be a problem or can i throw them in with the acidulated malt?

Thanks for the responses! Partial mashing didn't occur to me until after i'd bought my steeping grains. Will mashing those be a problem or can i throw them in with the acidulated malt?

it wont really be mashing, it will just be steeping. Im not 100% sure if you need any base grain to use the acidulated malt, i would think you would be ok with your steeping grains though.

Back