Partially frozen beer in my kegerator lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Since I'm a kegging noob, and I just kegged my first batch a few weeks ago, I'm still finding myself with questions. Tonight, I went to pour a glass, and when I pulled on the tap nothing came out. I thought, "great, I'm one of the unfortunate ones that has a leak somewhere in my setup". Luckily, I checked everything and no leak anywhere. However, I discovered that my beer line had some semi-frozen beer leftover from what I'm assuming is last time I poured a glass (maybe a week ago), and this was preventing any beer from coming through. After a little bit of keeping the tap on, the beer finally got through the line. My question is, after I'm done using the kegerator for the night, or in this case, one week, is it recommended to remove the beer line each time to prevent this from happening? Also, is there a method I can use to make sure there is no beer residue in the line whenever I'm done? I usually just pour a glass and that's it. Any help would be great. Thank you

Chest freezer connected to a temperature control device, correct?
if not, get one. Johnson, Ranco, Love...
The freezer plugs into the device, and the device into the wall. Set preferred temp on the device.

2nd - Get a small fan inside that keezer to stir the air. Otherwise, when the freezer compressor comes on, the cold "falls" to the bottom, freezing some of your beer.

To add to what Hang Glider says, I'd say your beer is too darn cold. Well made homebrew is, in my opinion, best served between 40 and 50 degrees F. Well above freezing :)

Especially with Perlicks you don't need to continually clear the lines/faucets of beer.

B

It's a Sanyo 4912 kegerator. I can lower the temp a little and see if it helps. I only have it on setting 4, which I've read on here is the setting most people keep theirs at. I don't think the beer was completely frozen since it took a few seconds before beer started to come through the tap. I'd say it was more of a slush.

It's a Sanyo 4912 kegerator. I can lower the temp a little and see if it helps. I only have it on setting 4, which I've read on here is the setting most people keep theirs at. I don't think the beer was completely frozen since it took a few seconds before beer started to come through the tap. I'd say it was more of a slush.

If it's got the chill plate in the back, make sure the line isn't touching it anywhere. (Had that happen to me.)

Back