Partial Sun Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eweb44

Reaction score
I'm planning to grow Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, and Hallertuaer hops. They will be grown horizontally along the top of a 6' fence which runs north and south. Of those varieties which would most tolerate partial rather than full sun? Also which is better morning or afternoon sun.

Alternatively, does anyone no a good way to discretely poison 4 large maple trees growing on the boundary between my neighbor's house and mine? I am only sort of kidding, this is about home grown hops and making the freshest APA possible.

man, I don't know. I planted cent, cascade, and will. along a fence last spring and didn't realize how much shade the trees were gonna throw on 'em. They got partial sun part of the day and only got maybe 3 feet long all summer while my buddy's, in similar soil/planting/trellis environment grew about 15 feet and actually produced a handful of cones. I will have to move mine after last thaw. Be wary of partial sun - these guys are sun hogs. Of course, there may be some varieties like you suggest that do better in partial sun but I can't imagine any hops like anything other than full blown solar exposure.

Back