Partial mashing in the oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell0347

Reaction score
Is there any issue with mashing my grains in my 5 gallon SS pot and placing the whole thing in the oven to maintain temps. Then dumping the mash into my little MLT I built. Would the pouring cause hot side aeration or any other detrimental effects, or is this even an issue?

I've never done the oven mash trick, but have always wanted to try it. Seems like a great way to keep a stable temp. Even it the oven temp is a bit high or low it should be close enough to minimize tun fluctaution.

If the minimum oven temp is 180 - 200, I would just shut it off and let it "caost"

I wouldn't lose any sleep over HSA.

I've tried it in an oven at 200F. It worked fine. It actually gained a few degrees in the hour. So, I might try what wilserbrewer said and just turn the oven off after placing the kettle inside. I found that the better method is to heat the mash water in the kettle to the target temp, place the kettle on a folded towel on the ground, add grains, place lid on kettle, and cover with several other towels. I never lose a degree like this.

I do my PM in the oven for an hour. I have one of those little thermometers that sit on the oven rack and I try to keep the oven temp within about 10 degrees of my mash temp. I know that's kind of being overanal with it, but it really only means turning the oven on for a few minutes twice during the hour when I give it a stir. Works great.

Back