Partial Mash with too much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Trying to track down why my OG was low. The first time I did this recipe it was a Extract with specialty grains. I decided to substitute 2-row for some extract.

3.3lb LME - added at 15 minutes
1.2lb DME - 60 min

2.2lb Pale Malt 2-row
1lb Munuch
0.75lb crystal 40L
0.5lb Crystal 120
0.5lb Victory

Used 2 gallons water (AHS suggests 2 gallons - I know about other measurements but . . . . it's worked GREAT in the past)

Strike temp was 162.

Mashed at a nice even 154 for 45 minutes.

I mixed the final wort pretty darn good so I believe I had a nice even mix.

PH taken during mash was off the sale high (what would a high PH do??)
What WOULD too much water do ???

OG was suppose to be about 1.054
Actual OG was 1.044

Anything jump out

Too much water would cause a high ph. I'm not sure it would have too much to do with efficiency, but might cause some tannin extraction.

You'd get 1.034 from just the extract. I calculated a PM, but forgot to add the 2-row! Oops- so, with about 65% efficiency in the PM you'd expect 1.056, so I assume that's what you were counting on.

Rule of thumb for me is 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. You have 4.95 pounds of grain listed; so that would be 6.19 quarts, or 1.55 gallons. So I'd say you may have used too much water.

Another thing could be the quality of grain crush... Did you have any observations on that?

YooperBrew wins.

I ordered everything from AHS in one grain bill but the 2-row came separately as I was going to use the rest in a Scottish 80/-.

DANG!!!! That will teach me to brew at 7:00 in the morning with no brew in hand.

The real question now is 1.044 seems pretty good for that recipe LOL

Now I'm curious to what it'll taste like. dang it.

3.3lb LME - added at 15 minutes
1.2lb DME - 60 min

1lb Munuch
0.75lb crystal 40L
0.5lb Crystal 120
0.5lb Victory

thanks Yoop!

Back