Partial Mash Water Chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
Typically I mainly do extract brews with steeping grains and use distilled water. However, I would like to try partial mashing and I was wonderng if i use distilled water will the smaller amount of extract have enough components to create the correct flavor profile or should I adjust it. I tried running a search on this but couldn't seem to find anything.

Thanks

That might work for 1 particular style of beer, but your pH will vary based on the color of the grains you are mashing. Having said that, I don't know how you would go about calculating the required salts for a partial mash (since the color of the mash is probably different than the color of the finished wort). I think you would somehow have to do the calculations based only on the mash.

How about using spring water, instead of distilled, for the partial mash? That should solve the issue of the lack of minerals and salts, and still not use tap water.

That might work for 1 particular style of beer, but your pH will vary based on the color of the grains you are mashing. Having said that, I don't know how you would go about calculating the required salts for a partial mash (since the color of the mash is probably different than the color of the finished wort). I think you would somehow have to do the calculations based only on the mash.

I think my brain just got a cramp.. You got a link to walk me through this?

How about using spring water, instead of distilled, for the partial mash? That should solve the issue of the lack of minerals and salts, and still not use tap water.

That sounds straight forward.

Back