Partial Mash Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourz4life

Reaction score
So I've only done extract brews. I want to take the dive into all grain but I don't have the room quite yet so I want to try partial mash first. I've read some posts and info on it but I wanted to see if anyone had any good resources on the whole process and any tips for a beginner. Also, after some research I know that 6 grain malts help convert into fermentable sugars but does a 6 row malt affect the flavor much or is it merely used to help convert.

Do you have a pot that is at least 5 gallons? Most brewers do and that plus a paint strainer bag or a bag make form Swiss Voille makes a mash tun for your partial mash. All that is needed to mash is a mixture of water of the right temperature and grains that have been milled. At least part of the grains must contain the enzymes that convert the starch to sugar in sufficient quantity to complete the conversion. 2 row (pale malt is another common name) has enough enzymes to convert nearly twice it's weight in other grain that have starches that can be converted.

If you have a 5 gallon pot and a paint strainer bag, put in about 3 gallons of water and heat that to the temperature that with the quantity of grains you want to mash will result in a temperature between 145 and 160F, stir in the grains, wait an hour, pull the bag of grains out and let them drain. That's all it takes for a partial mash. Just as a guess, if you heated the water to 157 and put in the grains you want in the partial mash, the temperature of the mash will be within the range I specified above.

6 row barley does have more enzymes than 2 row but there isn't that much of a difference that you should need to worry about that for the first few brews. 2 row has more than enough for most batches.

Look at the BIAB section. All grain with none of the big expence. Although I have to say there was little more expence because I like five gallon batches so went with a 15 gallon pot and Wilsner bag. My son just sold his equipment and went BIAB

Back