Partial Mash Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Hi
So Its getting pretty warm here in New Zealand, so I figured its time for a Saison or 2, given the limited Temperature Control I have until Early Next Year.

So I came up with this, its a partial mash recipe:
2.5kg Light DME
0.5kg Caramalt
0.5kg wheat
0.5 kg rye
I was thinking about adding vienna either 0.25kg(1/2lb) (5.9%) or 0.5kg(1lb) (11.1%), but I'm not sure how that would work. Anyone have any ideas??
Hops Schedule is as follows:
07g Nelson Sauvin @ 60
14g Nelson Sauvin @ 30
23g Nelson Sauvin @ 10
28g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout
DryHop: 28 g 1 week
French 3711 Wyeast.
MiniMash at 69 deg C for 30 mins, as I know the 3711 eats nearly everything in site. i want to keep some of theat malty goodness.
Thoughts on the Vienna Addition? what will it Add etc.?

I did a saison with a pils base and 25% vienna and I liked it. It should add some bready malt notes. I might drop the caramel since using extract might give you a higher FG anyway, and that seems like a lot. What OG are you shooting for?

tennesseean_87 said:
I did a saison with a pils base and 25% vienna and I liked it. It should add some bready malt notes. I might drop the caramel since using extract might give you a higher FG anyway, and that seems like a lot. What OG are you shooting for?

I've decided to chuck in 250grams of Vienna and down the IBU's a bit on recommendation of a brew club member OG should be 1059-1060.
The 3711 should attenuate to around 85-90 it's a beast

crusader1612 said:
Hi
So Its getting pretty warm here in New Zealand, so I figured its time for a Saison or 2, given the limited Temperature Control I have until Early Next Year.

So I came up with this, its a partial mash recipe:
2.5kg Light DME
0.5kg Caramalt
0.5kg wheat
0.5 kg rye
I was thinking about adding vienna either 0.25kg(1/2lb) (5.9%) or 0.5kg(1lb) (11.1%), but I'm not sure how that would work. Anyone have any ideas??
Hops Schedule is as follows:
07g Nelson Sauvin @ 60
14g Nelson Sauvin @ 30
23g Nelson Sauvin @ 10
28g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout
DryHop: 28 g 1 week
French 3711 Wyeast.
MiniMash at 69 deg C for 30 mins, as I know the 3711 eats nearly everything in site. i want to keep some of theat malty goodness.
Thoughts on the Vienna Addition? what will it Add etc.?

This has turned out great. Plenty of Sauvin flavour almost a hint of grape big saison esters, and a bit of spice. The only thing I'd change is add carapils or something to beef it up a bit. Ended at 1.008 from 1.062

Back