Partial mash recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find partial mash recipes ? I've done a few extracts at this point and I think I want to begin to get up the nerve to do a partial. Problem is while there are a ton of web sites with all grain recipes there are not any partials. Any thoughts ??

They are harder to come by, understand, and design but easy to brew. I've brewed over a hundred PM recipes so I could probably help you out depending on the style you're shooting for. What kind of beer did you want to brew, what flavor/aroma/feel are you shooting for, and what kind of equipment do you have? Do you have a basic understanding of how Partial Mash works?

my Jedi Master/LHBS owner has a conversion chart HERE, might be of some help converting from or to extract/pm/ag as needed.

thing is to use the MOST amount of grains you can mash and make up the difference in extract. THIS THREAD and chart can help with that.

also might be good to try an extract recipe with steeping and that will help your technique with the conversion to all grain. crystal/caramel grains, roasted grains, black patent and chocolate, among others, do not need mashing, so you can just heat water and these grains like a tea for 15 to 30 minutes

can't remember where I got the tip, but I remember reading somewhere to use the LIGHTEST extract you can get and rely on crystal/caramel for color adjustments.

Partial mash is so similar to BIAB and steep methods that i've completely passed it up as an option. What I would do if I came across an AG recipe is to convert the base malt to extract (light DME/LME) for the most part and then add back a small amount of 2 row to give the beer that fresh flavor profile you're looking for. Anywhere from 8 oz to 2 lbs depending on the beer style and the batch size. Combine that with the LME/DME and you'll have plenty of diastatic power for grains like vienna and munich.

That, or just skip it altogether and go BIAB with AG. It just requires a slightly bigger pot and a cheap mesh net held in place with binder clips. I use an 8 gallon stock pot I found at a restaurant salvage place and do 6 gallon batches in it.

and I don't know about other software, but BeerSmith2 has a "convert" function to/from extract/pm/ag

Back