Partial Mash Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
I was going to try a PM for my next recipe, but I was wondering if it was worth it? I thought this would save a little on my grain bill, but after running my recipe through BeerSmith it looks like the amount of base grain I'm going to mash is going to be a wash price-wise once I add the little bit of extract into the mix.

Is this common? Is Partial Mash really just a way to start learning how AG works, and really doesn't save any money?

Also, when converting the recipe in BeerSmith is it just simply removing some of the extract, and replacing it with a "mashable" grain?

Partial mash or mini-mash gives you more freedom and control over your beers. Extract-only brewing is pretty limited because extract is, well, extract. Using some malted grain makes the difference between brewing good beer and brewing great beer. Then there are specialty grains. Want to make a knock-your-socks-off oatmeal stout? You can nail it from the flavor to the mouthfeel.

I'm not saying you can't make good drinkable beer from extract. You already know you can. But partial mash adds to the experience. I've read that the majority of microbreweries do partial mash. I have not gone to all grain yet and to be honest may never do so. I would never back up to all-extract brewing either.

John

PM will save you money to a point. It depends on how much extract you use. I typically only use 1 - 3 pounds which does save me 10 bucks or so. Honestly, I the flavor is much better with pm and you can do more styles b/c you're not limited to extract only.

I would recommend going PM. More fun too!

As far as beersmith...I don't use that program I use tastybrew.com, but yes essentially it is the same. Depending on style just replace the extract with a base malt grain and a small amount of specialty grain if you desire.

Back