Partial Mash Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioHomeBrewer

Reaction score
I've done a partial mash twice so far in a 3 gallon beverage cooler. I based my process on a BYO article I read on counter top partial mashing.

http://***********/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I plan on making a blonde ale this weekend and I want to make sure I am mashing correctly.

I understand that I need to use 1 to 1.25 quarts of water per pound. Were I get a little confused is with the mash out and sparging. How much water should be used for mash out and sparging for 6 lbs of grain? I am brewing 5 gallons and do a full boil of 6 to 6.5 gallons. I have done it like this in the past:

Mash In (1.25 quarts per)
6 lbs grain = 7.5 quarts (2.75 gallons)

Mash Out (not sure about this)
Done by adding .5 gallons boiling water to first wort

Sparging
2.75 gallons at 170

Can I do an actual mash out and then sparge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the BIAB idea BigB. I decided to give it a try and it went well. I was able to fit all 8.75 lbs of grain in the bag. I like this method and I'm definitely going to keep brewing this way. I just need to get a bigger bag...or make one.

Back