Partial Mash Oktoberfest - Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing a PM O-fest soon, as soon as my basement temp dips below 54, which should be soon.

Anyways, I know most O-fest is decocted, and I've done decoctions and am comfortable doing one. I am just wondering it it's overkill and if I can get away with a single temp infusion, batch sparge method. I have 5# Vienna and 1.5# Munich Dark btw. The extract I am using is Cooper's Euro Lager.

I've made two marzen's and neither called for a decoction.

Authentic? maybe not.
Delicious? quite.

I'd skip it on a PM unless it was a learning tool, but you've already done decoctions.

I'm pretty sure you have to do a decoction to properly caramelize the malt.

Really? I don't think I've ever done a decoction on an Oktoberfest/Marzen style beer.

A single infusion should work fine, although my favorite recipe does do a step mash via infusion, not decoction.

A good portion of Munich malt with a bit of caramel malt should get you the correct amount of maltiness. I really like the bready/toasty malt flavor in a good Oktoberfest. Maybe I should start one soon!

Back