Partial Mash: Mashing Day Before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey
I am doing partial mash brewing.
What are the thoughts on mashing the day before and just throwing it in the fridge until tomorrow?

I figured that since I am boiling for 60 min, I dont have to worry about infection or anything

Is there any reason NOT to mash today, and then brew tomorrow?

Thanks!

Many folks will do a sour mash to try to make something taste like a sour lambic without having to deal with the bugs in the fermenter. They do this by mashing their grain and then letting it sit overnight while the lacto in it has it's way with the sugars in the mash. Then boiling kills the lacto, but leaves the lactic acid and the sour taste.

Since you're planning on refrigerating it I'm not sure how much of that effect would take place, but I'd be wary of it.

There's a number of threads where people discuss mashing overnight.

"overnight mashing"

In their case they seem to have a well insulated mash tuns that keeps temperatures too high for bacterial growth.

In your case it seems to me that if you chilled your first runnings quickly and then refrigerated them you should have no problems with sourness. I presume that you wouldn't try to batch sparge the wet grains the next day. I'd throw those out once I drained the first running.

Perhaps just bring the first wort up to a quick boil and then keep the pot covered overnight out on the stove? 10 minutes boil time should kill the enzymes and the bugs. Never tried it, just a thought.

I think it's a bad idea. The wort can spoil overnight and you will end up with a sour beer. Perhaps keeping it in the fridge will keep it from spoiling but is it worth the risk? Try it and let us know how it goes.

Back