Partial Mash/Leftover mashup brewing

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

KayBeer

Reaction score
I have 2 pounds of DME and 1 pound of liquid pilsner extract. I would like to make a 5 gallon batch using up the extract I have, and a partial mash with grain. How much grain should I buy to get my desired result. I am just experimenting at this point, but don't know the ratio's. I just want to use up the ingredients I have.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
We need to know what kind of beer you want to make to answer the question, assuming the DME is also light/pale/pilsen you can do pretty much any style. The extract will supply about 1.025 gravity. It will also depend a bit on what efficiency you expect from your mash, if you don't know I'd probably just estimate about 70%.

OP
K

KayBeer

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly. The Extracts I have are leftovers from 2 different Amber Recipes. I'd try to concoct some type of an Amber. Assume 70% efficiency.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
Do you know if the extract is amber or light? If light you could do a basic amber with something like the following, it should give you around 1.053 with 11% crystal and 9% munich. You could also use an oz or two of debittered black or midnight wheat for color. If it's actually amber extract maybe cut the C-60 in half? It's harder when you don't know what makes up the extract.

3.5 lb 2 row or pale ale
1 lb Munich
1 lb C-60
0.25 lb C-120