Partial Mash - Late extract addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottkist

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been searching this forum and googling this question but cannot find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered before. I am wanting to start brewing partial mashes. I have a mash tun but I only am able to brew on my stove top at the moment so I want to try and make ~3 gallons of wort from my mash and add a late extract the last 10 mins of the boil. Would it be ok to do this? I know for full extract brews this is ok so I would assume this would work as well. I want to minimize the extract twang flavor. Also would you recommend using LME or DME for late extract? I read DME is better about not having the "extract twang taste" but I am not sure if it is the best for a late extract addition....

Yes, you can definitely do that. What I would do is add the extract at flame out, not with 10 minutes left in the boil. The reason is adding the extract stops the boil when you add it, and then you have to bring the wort back to a boil and that can screw up your hopping additions.

I would just add the extract when I turned off the flame, and stir well. Then start chilling. It's still more than hot enough for adequate pasteurization if that is a concern.

I prefer DME for "freshest" taste, but sometimes if you want a specialty extract, it may only come in LME (like rye LME or maris otter LME).

As stated above make you you stir it real well

Lme will stick to bottom of pot where DME will clump up if not stirred thoroughly.

As far as which one, depends on type of beer and preference

Try a different one on each of next two brews and determine which gives you best result

There is no right answer, they both work fine

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to do it at flameout. I am going to be making an IPA just haven’t come up with a recipe yet. I will have to see if I can find some partial mash recipes. Any suggestions on partial mash IPAs?

I don't usually drink or make IPA's but the recipes are endless thanks to the Internet

I've found Pinterest to be a great resource for beer recipes of all kinds

Back