Partial mash in Anvil foundry 10.5G

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sajjeev

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I just got the Foundry and I am trying to ease my way into All grain brewing by starting with a partial mash brew.
This is my recipe.
2-Row Pale - 2lb
German Munich - 8oz
Honey Malt- 4oz
What do you think about me using Flacked Oats - 1lb
Malt Extract:
Pilsen Briess Dry Malt Extract - 6lb

Hops:
Columbus, 8g - 60 min
Cascade, 24g - 30 min
Columbus, 24g - 10 min
Amarillo, 24g - 5 min
Citra, 24g - 5 min
Citra, 2oz - Dry Hop

Yeast.
US-05 orWhite Labs East Coast Ale yeast or OYL200 Tropical IPA- Omega yeast.

So this is the work flow I came up with but wanted to make sure I am doing it right, What do you guys think of this?

1) Heat 1G of strike water (As I only have around 3.75lb of grains)
2) Add the grains and mash
3) Sparge with 6G of water.
4) Boil the water and add around 2lb of the extract.
5) Add Hops
6) Towards the end of the boil, Add the rest of the extract.

Does it seem right?

1) Heat 1G of strike water (As I only have around 3.75lb of grains)
2) Add the grains and mash
3) Sparge with 6G of water.
4) Boil the water and add around 2lb of the extract.
5) Add Hops
6) Towards the end of the boil, Add the rest of the extract.

Please whatever you do, DO NOT sparge with 6 gallons of water!

Also need some more info, I'm assuming you want to do a 5 gallon batch correct? What style are you going for? By the hop schedule looks like an IPA.

Why not sub out the Pils Malt Extract for actual Pils Malt and do a mash?

Thank you so much for your reply!
Also need some more info, I'm assuming you want to do a 5 gallon batch correct? What style are you going for? By the hop schedule looks like an IPA.
I was thinking of doing a 6G batch of mango IPA.
I am trying to use the extract as I already bought all these 😬
So if in case I use the Pils malt, is it a 1lb to 1lb replacement?

Do not be afraid of all grain brewing. It really is not any more difficult than extract or partial mash, especially when you have a electronic system like the Foundry that will hold temps for you.

That said, your proposed brew day (since you have the stuff already) will work. I would not sparge with the 6 gallons. Mash with 1-2 gallons, sparge with 1-2 and then top it off for the boil after the grain is out of the way.

This BYO article will help you with grain to extract conversions: Extract to All-Grain and Back - Brew Your Own

2 things look off to me - First is that if you're using a Foundry, there's some space under the grain basket that's just water. I don't own one but read from others it's in the neighborhood of a gallon. So if you try to mash with just 1 gallon you may have practically none of it in your grains to begin with - it may all just be sitting underneath instead. What you're talking about would only work with a cooler or some other more traditional mashing setup. Bump to 2 gallons mash water minimum or so for that reason if nothing else. Sparge with whatever you want, you can't really hurt it. But I agree I'd even out the ratios some but honestly there's nothing saying you have to.

The other thing that jumps out is the extract, and only adding a little at first and the rest at the end. Any reason you aren't just adding it all at once? I haven't done extract in forever so maybe I'm missing something as to why, but I've never heard of a reason to delay but admittedly haven't been paying attention if a reason came up over the years. Either way just be sure you don't scorch it, but w/ a Foundry that's probably not much of a concern. (Scorch = pour it in, let it all sit on the bottom without stirring, and burn)

The 10.5 foundry typically isn't recommended for super small mashes because there's about 1 gallon of space under the malt pipe, and the side perforations in the pipe result in most water flowing past a small mash rather than through it. That results in poor efficiency (less starches converted to sugars).
If you happen to have a grain bag, you could heat the water a degree or two above your target, turn off the power to the element, and wait a couple minutes for the elements to cool. Toss the grain bag in directly without the malt pipe.
You'll also absolutely want to turn off the element when you add the extract and make sure it is fully dissolved before you turn the element on. If it sticks to the bottom and scorches, it could trip the dry fire mechanism and you'd need to push the pin under the unit. That's easy when it's empty. Almost impossible when full.

Back