Partial Mash Dubbel Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritmaster

Reaction score
This recipe got scores of 35 and 37 at the last Indiana State Fair. The main complaint was muted phenolics relative to style. I really liked this beer and am wondering what I could do to get it closer to style - or just make it a better tasting beer in general

Mini-mashed at 151F for 60m:
2 lbs Munich (Dingemans) (5.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) <--for head retention

Fly sparged and collected about 2.5 gallons, bulked to 6 gallons H2O and then for a 60min boil:

6 lbs Briess Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract

0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

1 pound D2 syrup, 10 minutes

Yeast was 2L starter of Wyeast 3787 and it was fermented at 68F the entire time. After 3 months in the primary, I did rack to a keg and then bulk age at 31F for a month - could this mute the phenolics? I've read that cold-aging can mute esters (don't know if that is actually true, though).

OG ~ 1.074 FG ~ 1.018

1) What can I do to get better phenolics? Different yeast or fermentation temperature?

2) What do you think about the (partial mash) grain bill? Should I swap out some of the Munich for Belgian Pils? I was also thinking about swapping the 8oz of Caravienne for 4oz each of Biscuit and Aromatic to increase the maltiness (flavor and aroma)??

Please rip the current recipe to shreds! Like I said, this beer was extremely tasty, but I'm always looking to get closer to style and get better scores. :D

Back