partial mash batch sparging - need quick help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I currently have a partial mash underway. I am going to batch sparge (sort of) - basically I am going to strain the mashed grains and then drop them into my sparge vessel - BeerEmith tells me to use water at 168 degrees, but doesn't give me a time. The post, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/index2.html, says to use 175 degree water and then leave it something like 10-15 minutes.

Does 168 vs 175 matter? I only ask because I always see 170 as a kind of magic number and these are on either side of it.

Does 10-15 minutes sound about right? How long would be too long?

I use 180*F water to sparge. You want to soften that sugar up so it can dissolve.

The time is up to you. I batch sparge twice, using half the water in each. I leave the first batch of sparge water for about 5-10 minutes before draining. The next batch I just drain immediately.

Have your water around 175 so when you add your grains the temperature will be around 160. Leave them for ten minutes or so and drain. Measure the gravity (adjust for temperature) so you know how much extract to add to get to the gravity you want. And don't worry too much about any of it - remember you are making hand-made, artisanal beer, variations are good!

Cheers!

Jim

Thanks! I'm not overly worried - I just didn't want to extract too much bitterness from the grains. I should have figured out to start higher as the temp will drop when I add the grains.

15 minutes till sparge - gotta get things organized!

EDIT: done sparging. Thanks for the quick help! :mug:

Latest posts

Back