Partial Mash Advantages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
Are there any advantages to partial mash brewing that I am not thinking of? I had a friend let me have his mash tun so I have been making 2.5-3 gallon AG batches. I suppose with Partial Mash I could add extract to my 3 gallon pot so that I could dilute into a 5 gallon batch. I'm certainly open to trying, but the reasons for doing so aren't really self evident to me.

When I think of the advantages of partial mash brewing it's always in comparison to extract brewing, not all grain. The only clear advantage I can think of in your situation is the one you've already identified.

In your case, the advantage is you'll be getting 5 gals of beer instead of 2.5...and it will basically be the same quality. I do all PM brewing. Gives me the most control and flexibility in my beer being able to mash any grain (oats, wheat whatever) I want w/o having to buy AG equipment for full AG batches.

Back