Partial-Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering what modifications are needed to convert a partial boil to a full boil going off of a kit. Does the kit usually specify this or is there a particular method do doing so. The reason I ask is due to the fact that I have been brewing extract kits and none of them call for an entire boil of the water amount. Hope I said that right. I have a kettle big enough to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch and I would like to do so. Thanks in advance.

I am wondering what modifications are needed to convert a partial boil to a full boil going off of a kit. Does the kit usually specify this or is there a particular method do doing so. The reason I ask is due to the fact that I have been brewing extract kits and none of them call for an entire boil of the water amount. Hope I said that right. I have a kettle big enough to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch and I would like to do so. Thanks in advance.

You can just do the full boil and just skip the top off step. There will be some impact on hop utilization but not enough to worry about. You have to account for the amount of water that will boil off which in my setup is about a gallon over a 60 minute boil. You also want to make sure you have some way to cool a full boil when you are done.

Okay, I think I get it now. I do also have a wort chiller that will be perfect for the wort cooling. I made it out of 50' copper tubing and it is just too big for a partial boil. This was one of the driving reasons for the want to do a full boil. Thanks for the info. :mug:

Back