Partial-Full Boil Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgray58

Reaction score
Plan to do a full boil brew using a half-boil recipe (NB Waldo Lake Amber). (Have done about 8 other recipes converting 1/2 to full boil w/o problem). The first part of this first-time recipe has me scratching my head and here it is just about verbatim.
1. Collect and heat 2.5 gal.
2. Add 1 oz hops directly into boil kettle.
3. Steep crushed grain for 20 min or until 170 degrees.
4. Bring to boil and add malt syrup...,
5. Bring to boil.
6. Add additional hops and boil for 60 min, etc....,

It never says what temp or time to add the first hops and the 20 min OR 170 degrees seems fickled. I'm thinking the recipe wants me to add the hops and grain bag to the 2.5 gal cold water, start heating, pull grainbag at either 20 min or 170 degrees (whichever comes first), and keep heating til boil. (The rest I am good with.)

My typical mod would be to steep grains at 170 for 20 min in about 2 gal, sparge with another 1/2 to 1 gal, add water to reach 5.5 to 6 gal, bring to boil, and then start adding malt, hops, etc. as required.

I am left wondering just when I should start with that first hops. Or maybe my typical routine should not be used. Any suggestions?

1. Collect and heat 2.5 gal.
2. Add 1 oz hops directly into boil kettle.
3. Steep crushed grain for 20 min or until 170 degrees.
4. Bring to boil and add malt syrup...,
5. Bring to boil.
6. Add additional hops and boil for 60 min, etc....,

It looks pretty straightforward to me.

1. Start heading the water
2. Add 1 ounce hops directly to the boil kettle. (It doesn't say a thing about a bag, or removing them).
3. Steeped the crushed grain until you hit 170 degrees, then of course remove them. It's assumed that you will have the grain in a bag. If you put the grainbag in and begin heating the water, remove it when you hit 170 degrees. OR just steep them 20 minutes in your usual manner. It doesn't matter a bit.
4. Bring to boil and add extract.
5. Bring to a boil (the extract will stop the boil briefly)
6. ETC.

Back