Partial-boil IBU Calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
I'm using tastybrew to calculate a recipe. When the boil volume is set to 7, which I would normally use for a 1 hour boil, the IBU is 8, which is what I'm aiming for. When I change the boil volume to 4, which I may need to do today due to lack of propane, it changes the IBU to 40. I have the batch size set to 5.5 on both calculations, I just can't figure out why the IBU would be so much higher for less water if it's being watered down after the boil? I understand if the final volume were 4 the IBU would be higher, but it's not...

It would all come down to hop utilization in the boil which is dependent upon the average boil gravity. You will get higher hop utilization rates with a lower gravity wort (essentially getting more IBU's out of your hops) with the lower boil gravity.

Example: 1.050 avg boil gravity for 60 minute boil = .231 utilization factor; 1.060 avg boil gravity for 60 minute boil = .211 utilization factor

However, that is in complete contrast to the issue you are experiencing. With a smaller volume you should have a higher avg boil gravity which should equal lower IBU's due to the lower utilization factor.

Assuming a 1.050 gravity beer of 5 gallons:

1.050 = 50 gravity points
50 x 5 gallons = 250 gravity points

If you regularly do a 7 gallon boil that means your boil off rate is 2 gallons per hour. If we want to calculate your avg boil gravity in this scenario we would take 250 (total gravity points) and divide it by 6 (halfway point between 7 and 5) to get an avg gravity of about 42. For simplicity sake let us assume 1 oz of 10 alpha acid hops being used for a 60 minute boil.

To calculate the IBU's in this scenario we would:

AA's x utilization x 75 / final batch volume = IBU's
10 x .248 x 75 / 5 = 37 IBU's

Now, if you were creating the same beer, but only boiling 4 gallons rather than 7 we would then need to figure out your avg boil gravity for that volume. To do so we would still figure a 2 gallon per hour boil off rate. That means when you are done boiling you'll have 2 gallons of wort so we'll use 3 gallons for the avg. 250 divided by 3 = 83 gravity points.

AA's x utilization x 75 / 5 = IBU's
10 x .172 x 75 / 5 = 26 IBU's

Sounds like either the calculator is wrong or you are using it improperly. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

cp

Back