Partial Blonde Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dac0152

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a recipe for a blonde ale to brew in a month or so, and, while I have an outline, I do have a few questions.

3.5# Extra Light DME
1# Carapils/Dextrine
1# Pale 2-row
.5# Munich

1 oz Hallertau @ 60
1 oz Saaz @ 15
.25 oz Styrian Goldings @10

WLP029 Yeast

BeerSmith says the SRM would be 3.7, which is okay, but I've seen, reading around, people warning against the use of Munich in a blonde due to color issues, should I replace that with Vienna instead?

Also, if I'm trying to make it a more "Texas-ish" beer (a lot of German culture), would it really change anything if I substituted the Pale 2-row for Pils 2-row?

Thanks for your help, this will be my third brew so far! I'm hooked.

That little Munich shouldn't darken the beer much (although it won’t add much flavor either), I would be more worried about the extract. If you aren’t doing a full boil I’d suggest adding some of the extract late to keep color development down.

Pils has a sweeter/grainier flavor than American 2-row, but I don’t think subbing 1 lb will do anything. You might go for pils extract if you can find it.

Good luck.

id get rid of the carapils. extracts contain cara-pils in it, so adding more isnt really going to add anything.

Back